Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi and can anybody ID this sal larva

njokay

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to learning and sharing about salamanders.

My question for the day is, what is the genus of the two larva in the attached photos.
Both were found in Lewis County, West Virginia. That's like north central, just west of the Ridge and Valley.

They both have 5 toes. The one with the plain dorsum has pink tinted gills.
Thanks,
Mick

Attachments

• IMGP6873.jpg
    IMGP6873.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 277
  • IMGP6888.jpg
    IMGP6888.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMGP6889.jpg
    IMGP6889.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 246

njokay

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick responses. What are the distinguishing characteristics of the Eurycea larva? How is it different than a Desmognathus larva?

Attached is another larva photo from the same area in central West Virginia.

Is it also a Eurycea bislineata or from another tribe?

I've heard rounded snout vs truncate snout, and pigmented gills vs non-pigmented, and feather-like gills vs antler-like gills. But I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at.

Thanks,
Mick

Attachments

• IMGP6884.jpg
    IMGP6884.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 246

jaster

Reaction score
Justin, you're right it would be E. bislineata.

I see differences between Desmognathus and Eurycea larvae in the head. Brook salamanders usually have dark patches behind the eyes and some spotting along the back. I once had one I thought was a dusky yet it turned out to be a two-lined though...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1