Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melanoid GFP changing colors

KevinS

Reaction score
The first picture is with a flash and the others are without. He/she has a gray face, green body, and yellowish tail-not at all what I had expected when I got it, but interesting. I was expecting very uniform coloration, though I guess there's still time for more changes as it grows.
P5270027.jpg

P5270029.jpg

P5270033.jpg

P5270034.jpg

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

Looking great! Yours is so different from mine and Mac's! Ours are very dark and my mel's face even looks very different from yours. I wonder if my hard water has something to do with the darker color (don't know about Mac's water or yours). My water is hard, my pH hovers right around 7.6 straight from the tap. You're right, he/she could still change a lot, cute little thing! ;)

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Usually when I pick out a melanoid it lacks speckling or pattern and is gray or black. It also lacks irridophores but that is not real easy to see. I see this one has a little speckilng but lacks a pattern throughout most of its body. Most of my melanoids this year started out gray and have turned to dark black. I would say that one is not what I would call a classic melanoid.

harry7890

Reaction score
its a lovely colour :D and also can i just enquire as to where you got your substrate (tiles) from , as i would like to do the same in my tank

KevinS

Reaction score
its a lovely colour :D and also can i just enquire as to where you got your substrate (tiles) from , as i would like to do the same in my tank

I got them from Home Depot, about $1.60 per 12x12 inch tile if I remember correctly. I didn't quite achieve what I was going for because I got impatient, but overall I think it's a decent looking setup.

Manifest

Reaction score
I love it's little curly gill filaments! First time I've seen that, so cute!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!