Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What the heck is this? An anole? Help please!

Fig Newton

Reaction score
Ok... I've come across another found little animal... this one came into my brother's workplace (he thinks) in a delivery of trees from a nursery. He works at a Rona. Can anyone identify it and tell me what I need to do to care for him/her?

Attachments

• IMG_6558.jpg
    IMG_6558.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_6559.jpg
    IMG_6559.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 308

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
That is definitely some sort of Anolis species. If the nursery was located in Florida then I would assume this is Anolis sagrei but something about the coloration just doesn't seem right for that species.

Fig Newton

Reaction score
the batch of trees came from Florida about a month ago but when they called agriculture to come check him out, they said it had been past three weeks and they don't check out anything after three weeks.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Anolis sagrei to me, too.
If it´s a native species, the right thing to do would be to set it free near the area where it originally came from (provided that you don´t keep any other reptiles).

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I finally figured it out! It's not Anolis sagrei, it is Anolis cristatellus. Either way, it isn't a native species so your best option is to keep it (same care requirements as A. sagrei) or give it to someone else that is willing to take on the responsibility.

Do you know if the nursery was around the Miami-Dade County area?

Mac Myers

Reaction score
I've never been able to tell the difference between cristatellis and sagrei.

I know that the Cuban (sagrei) is MUCH more common and I'm not sure I've ever seen anything else. But as mentioned, they are a non indigenous, invasive species (though here to stay) and while they don't compete directly with Anolis carolininesis they breed at a much higher rate eventually displacing them.

Fig Newton

Reaction score
The nursery is in South Florida- that's all my brother knows. He was definetely hungry, I gave him two crickets and they're already gone. I've noticed he changes color, too! I've got a 55 gallon tank already from other animals I've had in there in the past, so I'm able to keep him- but he doesn't seem to be nocturnal and i'm wondering how to set the tank.... it's still half dirt, half moss from my newt when he was in there. Do they need sun or anything as well? they're not toxic, either I assume?
Also, how do I tell if it's a boy or girl?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No, they are not toxic, don´t you worry.
In order to tell if it´s a male or a female, look at the base of the tail from the underside. If there are two bulges pointing down the tail, it´s a male.

As for the tank, it´s a very good size. Give it a good cleaning with soap and let it dry. Stuff it with branches and tall live plants, they love them. Direct sun is not necessary, but you´ll have to provide a bulb with UV light.
Check around the internet for caresheets (make sure to compare and read as much as you can, there´s some bad info around).

Fig Newton

Reaction score
Cool... thanks. I believe it's a girl then- there's no bulges. I'm going to have to give her a Floridian name :eek:)

Attachments

• lizard3.jpg
    lizard3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 240
  • lizard4.jpg
    lizard4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 256

Ltdanicecream

Reaction score
Id just like to say those crickets are a tad too big for that anole. Other than that it sounds like you'll do a good job, and it has a beautiful coloration

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I've never been able to tell the difference between cristatellis and sagrei.

A. sagrei have a dorsal stripe and usually two faint horizontal bars along their sides. A. cristatellis have a herringbone pattern down their back with no dorsal stripe.

misslyss

Reaction score
Wow thats a pretty far journey for a little Anole! These guys are all over my back yard, I used to catch them when I was little :p often times you can see them sitting by lines of ants, licking a few up as they go by.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
What a good find.

I'm so jealous of all you people just wondering outside and seeing newts and lizards (ok it's not that easily necessarily) but we get nothing here :(. I saw my first "wild newts" in a pond at the weekend and I was literally dragged away (I was a bit too 'over-excited' at my find).

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think going out into your garden (provided that you are blessed with a garden...) and seeing a lizard on the walls is basically happiness :D It doesn´t matter if it´s an Anolis or a Podarcis..the effect is the same xD

I used to love catching lizards when i was a kid....and i was quite good at it too! Had my little tricks and tools and everything xDD

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´d kill to see a toad in my garden!!! Well...i´d kill to have a garden :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1