Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Right todays the day

harry7890

Reaction score
I am today going for my "Standard Glass Aquarium - 24" x 15" x 12" from my local pet shop for my pair of axys, dont know what else i will pick up wile i am there , we will see

so i will update later on as im off to whitby so ill see ya tonight with some updated picks of my axolotls :D

p.s hope it looks good,and fits on my chest of drawers :L

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Yeah Harry mate that tank has the exact same dimensions as the one you have now I sure hope you read this before you go shop that is a 60litre tank.

If this is too late and you have already gone to the shop, your best bet is to house one in each tank that would be acceptable

You dont have to worry about them being lonely Axolotl do not care if they have mates.

Last edited:

ted22

Reaction score
Yeah good point you could have one in each tank if its too late and you've already gone to the shop! Haha im hoping that tank size stated was a typo! Anyways as the previous post says 1 axie in a 2ft tank is acceptable but id still say it is abit small for a full size axie especially if it grows to be a big one! My axie is 9inches and im going to have to get a 3ft tank for him soon as hes still growing quick and it just doesnt look big enough for him to really go mental! Hope you get it all sorted soon, for your axies sake!

Peace

harry7890

Reaction score
24inches? that is only 2ft and too small for your axolotls, they will need at least 36inches 3ft!

Yeah Harry mate that tank has the exact same dimensions as the one you have now I sure hope you read this before you go shop that is a 60litre tank.

If this is too late and you have already gone to the shop, your best bet is to house one in each tank that would be acceptable

You dont have to worry about them being lonely Axolotl do not care if they have mates.

oh that is bloody marvelous , they diddnt have that tank so i got a different one ,that takes up the whole of my chest of drawers and is a lot bigger than the last one , here are some picks :

28546_131708060188250_100000471699009_303096_4198091_n.jpg

28546_131708080188248_100000471699009_303097_8274695_n.jpg

28546_131708096854913_100000471699009_303098_1069471_n.jpg

28546_131708110188245_100000471699009_303099_4056644_n.jpg

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Can you take a picture with the light bulb along the front so I can work out size. That tank also Iooks like a 2foot 60 litre same as your other one

You also need an extra hide big guy dis you go to a wickes or homebase?

I am really sorry to say but tank still is not big enough mate you have to ask the man at the pet shop what the dimensions are when you buy tell him you need a 3 footer.

I really think you should have one in each tank they will be more comfortable.

also is there a new filter and fresh water in the tank?

Last edited:

ted22

Reaction score
That also looks like another 2ft tank to me and if thats the one you got today you should have cycled it first before putting your axolotls in there! If the tank is not cycled your water parameters will be fluctuating all over the place and could really upset the little guys. Axolotls need space as they can dart about the place really quickly and that tank still looks too small, it may be abit wider which will help with water volume but they need space to swim and go mental! especially as you have two in there! I hate to say it but you really should have got all this sorted before you got your axolotls your only gonna stress them moving them from tank to tank and keeping them in a small tank. If you dont have the space for at least a 3ft tank As the previous comment said you would be better off having them in two separate tanks to keep them happy and give them more space (it will also be easier to keep the water quality up as there will be less bio-load for the water n filter to deal with) . Let us know what you plan on doing and keep us posted we're here to help!

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Harry,

I agree about the size and think putting one in each tank is a wonderful idea!...but I noticed your hide. The edges of your little doorway (nice job cutting it out!) might have some sharp edges on it so you may want to file those a bit. Axolotls have very soft skin and you wouldn't want them to injure themselves!

Please don't be discouraged by all of our comments. We want the very best for your pets, just like you do! It's wonderful that you are asking about everything! Take care!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
What size are your axies?
I would add lots of plants , real or artificial . This will give more areas for them to lurk and hide from one another. Feed them both in separate areas of the tank to avoid accidental nips whilst feeding.
It seems you will be cycling the tank with your guys in the tank. Make sure you do your spot cleaning regularly, daily 20-30 % de-chlorinated water changes until the tank cycles fully. Keep an eye on the water temperature too. Have a look at the article below, this will explain more
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

harry7890

Reaction score
Can you take a picture with the light bulb along the front so I can work out size. That tank also Iooks like a 2foot 60 litre same as your other one

You also need an extra hide big guy dis you go to a wickes or homebase?

I am really sorry to say but tank still is not big enough mate you have to ask the man at the pet shop what the dimensions are when you buy tell him you need a 3 footer.

I really think you should have one in each tank they will be more comfortable.

also is there a new filter and fresh water in the tank?

That also looks like another 2ft tank to me and if thats the one you got today you should have cycled it first before putting your axolotls in there! If the tank is not cycled your water parameters will be fluctuating all over the place and could really upset the little guys. Axolotls need space as they can dart about the place really quickly and that tank still looks too small, it may be abit wider which will help with water volume but they need space to swim and go mental! especially as you have two in there! I hate to say it but you really should have got all this sorted before you got your axolotls your only gonna stress them moving them from tank to tank and keeping them in a small tank. If you dont have the space for at least a 3ft tank As the previous comment said you would be better off having them in two separate tanks to keep them happy and give them more space (it will also be easier to keep the water quality up as there will be less bio-load for the water n filter to deal with) . Let us know what you plan on doing and keep us posted we're here to help!

Hi Harry,

I agree about the size and think putting one in each tank is a wonderful idea!...but I noticed your hide. The edges of your little doorway (nice job cutting it out!) might have some sharp edges on it so you may want to file those a bit. Axolotls have very soft skin and you wouldn't want them to injure themselves!

Please don't be discouraged by all of our comments. We want the very best for your pets, just like you do! It's wonderful that you are asking about everything! Take care!

What size are your axies?
I would add lots of plants , real or artificial . This will give more areas for them to lurk and hide from one another. Feed them both in separate areas of the tank to avoid accidental nips whilst feeding.
It seems you will be cycling the tank with your guys in the tank. Make sure you do your spot cleaning regularly, daily 20-30 % de-chlorinated water changes until the tank cycles fully. Keep an eye on the water temperature too. Have a look at the article below, this will explain more

right , here we go :smile: , i used the water from my old tank in this and some ro water from the pet shop so it was just like doing a partial water change and i used the same filter from last so it has all the good bacteria on it . my tank is 2 foot by 1 and a half foot by 2and a half foot so it is plenty big enough in my opinion.(and my dads)
i will file the edges of the plant pot , however it is only temporary, and i am going to get loads of plants when i get my substrate down.

and for substrate i have decided on going for
  • activated charcoal
  • play sand
  • and river rocks
and then all my plants , i am just a bit strapped for £££ at the moment

ps sorry for sounding ignorant , i sound really rude reading it back , sorry

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Well I do not think it is big enough and adding so many rocks and plants will take up so much room and you NEED another hiding place you are going to have a hard job keeping it clean and they might start fighting....is there no way you can have them in both tanks? it really would be better for them and for you.

As Axolotl stay on the floor most of the time the fact that this tank is a foot higher does not make a difference for the room your Axie's have it will help a little with water quality. the new tank only has one square foot more floor space that means they each have one and a half square feet.

It really is not big enough they are not going to be happy and may get ill.

I am going to ask a few questions see if you are doing everything right:

Can you tell me what they eat?

Do you understand cycling a tank and using de-chlorinater?

Have you got a water testing kit?

Do you have anything to clean the bottom of the tank, a syphon or gravel cleaner?

Do you know what temperature the tank is?

Are your axolotl's gills pointing straight and up towards the sky or curled and pointing forward?

Are there tails straight or curled forward at the tip?

Does the filter have a strong current? Axolotl live in ponds and lakes and hate current

Edit:actually looking at your pictures there gills are not long enough to point anywere

Last edited:

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Also what do you mean by 'activated charcoal' and with the river rocks you need to make sure they are MUCH bigger than your Axolotl head they will try to eat anything and can swallow larger things than you would expect!

ted22

Reaction score
I agree that tank is still to small it may be wider but the axolotl needs length in a tank so it can swim abit of distance as they do dart about at speed i would definitely split them for now just to give them abit of breathing space untill it is possible to upgrade to a 3ft LONG tank!

harry7890

Reaction score
Well I do not think it is big enough and adding so many rocks and plants will take up so much room and you NEED another hiding place you are going to have a hard job keeping it clean and they might start fighting....is there no way you can have them in both tanks? it really would be better for them and for you.

As Axolotl stay on the floor most of the time the fact that this tank is a foot higher does not make a difference for the room your Axie's have it will help a little with water quality. the new tank only has one square foot more floor space that means they each have one and a half square feet.

It really is not big enough they are not going to be happy and may get ill.

I am going to ask a few questions see if you are doing everything right:

Can you tell me what they eat?

Do you understand cycling a tank and using de-chlorinater?

Have you got a water testing kit?

Do you have anything to clean the bottom of the tank, a syphon or gravel cleaner?

Do you know what temperature the tank is?

Are your axolotl's gills pointing straight and up towards the sky or curled and pointing forward?

Are there tails straight or curled forward at the tip?

Does the filter have a strong current? Axolotl live in ponds and lakes and hate current

they eat worms,bloodworm(frozen),maggots and coi pellets

cycling is the nitrogen cycle in a nut shell

dont use de chlorinator use ro water

dont have a test kit as of yet i am affraid

i have rubber tube that i siphon the **** off the bottom with

dont know how cold my water is i just know it is cold when i put my hand in but not too cold

my axys gills are pointing towards his tail and have been ever since i got them 3 week ago

and their tails are streight
and no the tank has pretty much no current , the water is moving but isnt like a river

Also what do you mean by 'activated charcoal' and with the river rocks you need to make sure they are MUCH bigger than your Axolotl head they will try to eat anything and can swallow larger things than you would expect!

Activated carbon is used in aquariums for chemical filtration look HERE

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Ok well most seems good, I meant do you understand what is going to happen in your tank during the cycle how are you going to monitor if you dont have a test kit?

Are you going to leave them together in that tank than?

Looking at pictures the gills are really small you are going to have a tough time getting them up to shape in a small tank especially with all the stuff you are adding

You NEED a thermometer water feels cold on your arm at 23-24 degree, you want it to feel really cold on your arm around 16-18degree

harry7890

Reaction score
I agree that tank is still to small it may be wider but the axolotl needs length in a tank so it can swim abit of distance as they do dart about at speed i would definitely split them for now just to give them abit of breathing space untill it is possible to upgrade to a 3ft LONG tank!

yea but splitting them up isnt going to extend my tank ,so it is pretty pointless splitting them up into 2 tanks that are "too small"

however thank you for all your advice and input

and yes i am going to keep them together

and how do i get their gills bigger as the males gills look a lottle larger from when i first got them

tomkeogh

Reaction score
No splitting them up will not extend the tank, there is no need to be sarcastic you came here to ask for advice and you are getting good advice and ignoring it. the minimum housing conditions for ONE adult Axolotl is two feet in length, the minimum for two is a three foot tank. You have two Axolotl and two tanks large enough to house your pets in some comfort on there own, but you are choosing to go the easy option and house them together in cramped condition's when you have no idea what water levels are or what the temperature is.

I apologize for being rude but I have repeated this to you several times since last night and you are just not listening. The tank is way too small for them both to be in.

There gills will get longer if they have happy healthy living conditions this means a good amount of room, little stress, good food, slow current in water, low temperatures, good water levels and security.

ted22

Reaction score
Nooo you have the wrong idea dude a 2ft tank may be adequate for 1 axolotl but at least 3ft for 2axies! one of those tanks is not too small for 1axolotl trust us your axies will benifit from the space if they have a tank each! less stress, less chance of disease/infection and easier to keep the water quality high, your axies will live longer happier lives if they have the space, you have two large animals that produce a hell of alot of waste how would you feel if you had to live in your own poop in a place that small let alone someone else's poop to add to that! That amount of water just wont be enough to cope with the large amount of waste axolotls produce or provide the space they need to move so the benefits of splitting these guys into the two tanks untill a bigger one is available to you would be invaluable! and easily done as you now have two tanks!

Your axies gills should get bigger if you do everything these people say on this forum, im afraid with things like they are it may not happen they need more space and high water quality if their gills are small it indicates water quality issues which will improve if you split these guys. A week with a larger volume of clean airated water each and your axies gills could be a huge flowing mane, please listen to these guys some have been looking after axies for a long time you'd be a fool to ignore their advice!

Peace

Last edited:

harry7890

Reaction score
No splitting them up will not extend the tank, there is no need to be sarcastic you came here to ask for advice and you are getting good advice and ignoring it. the minimum housing conditions for ONE adult Axolotl is two feet in length, the minimum for two is a three foot tank. You have two Axolotl and two tanks large enough to house your pets in some comfort on there own, but you are choosing to go the easy option and house them together in cramped condition's when you have no idea what water levels are or what the temperature is.

I apologize for being rude but I have repeated this to you several times since last night and you are just not listening. The tank is way too small for them both to be in.

There gills will get longer if they have happy healthy living conditions this means a good amount of room, little stress, good food, slow current in water, low temperatures, good water levels and security.

it is not that i am ignoring your advice it is just , I CANT SPLIT THEM UP I HAVE NO ROOM !!!!

and i have just read that their gills will be smaller in cold water as more oxygen is present so would that mean that the warmer the water the larger the gills?

so i appologise for being an *** , i just have you telling me one thing and my dad telling me another and it is kinda hard to choose between the two arguments

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Well not to sound rude but your dad does not know anything about keeping an axolotl, we do that is why you come on this forum.

If you don't have the means to care for two maybe you could ask the shop if you can return one or sell one to Daniel he lives in your part of the country and wants a dark Axolotl like yours.

Getting there gills to grow is the least of your worries and if in doubt always remember they are ALWAYS better off at lower temperatures you can get a thermometer for a few quid.

Try your best to make room for both tanks, do you have two filters? they really will be so much happier in separate tanks and you will be much more able to treat them well.

You are doing so much right it is just the things you are doing wrong are the most important aspects in keeping axolotl.

Axolotl Sanctuary
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Caudata Culture Articles - Foods
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 1
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl
Caudata Culture Articles - Setups, Aquatic
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

Have a look at all of those pages/sites

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1