Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank setup help........ pleeaaaassssseeeeee

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Hi
Firstly i have a 3ft long and 1 and bit ft wide tank and was planning on getting 3 axolotls (very excited :D)... but will this be ok?
I have some medium sized pebbles for the floor of the tank and got them from a gardening centre, washed them off with a hose and boiled them for 3 hours is this ok?
I have a peice of black pvc pipe and some large rocks for them to hide...
Im thinking of feeding them a range of frozen bloodwrms, frozen brime shrimp and thrawed tubifex worms is this ok or should i be using live food aswell...?
My biggest dilema is with my water :( iv had the tank set up since the end of april and was a friends previously but when i had the water tested a week ago the parameters were all high... My problem is the person im getting them off of wants me to take them at the weekend (i feel like i have made her wait a a while and feel like im taking the p**s but i dont want to kill them!!! is there anything i can do to so that i can put them in my tank without killing them :confused:. Could i cycle the tank with them in there or is this a bad idea...

I appreciate any help and advice to make me a great owner please and thank you...:eek:

Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
3 Axies is the absolute max for a tank that size, it is acceptable, but larger would be better.

Do not use pebbles...new owners always underestimate the Axololt's ability to engulf things, and this often causes big problems....use sand...it's cheap, easy to clean, and no risk.

Try to find earthworms..either in gardens without pesiticides and fertilizers...or order them online

You can cycle a tank with animals in there, but 3 axolotls in only a 3ft tank is going to be extremely difficult, and if it is your first time, this may be a bit too challenging.

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, so would i be better off with 2 as i wouldnt go anymore than 3 anyways but i was planing on getting three different colours... :( and the person im getting them from said 3 would be no more trouble than 2 but if 2 would be better then i guess i could tell them i only want 2 (dont know what colours to get now :confused:) Also i have done loads of reserch about substrate and i chose the largest pebbles i can find and am confident thay will not be able to fit in the axolotls mouth.... If i did cycle the tank with them in it (as a last resort) how would i do this or should i keep them in another container and do the daily water changes in there untill my tank has cycled fully.... I can get some pictures if people are willing to give me some advice with the layout aswel....

Last edited:

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Def go with sand, pebbles will just tick you off and you will remove them.

How large are the axolotl? if they are small you could house all three if you plan to upgrade in a few months.

I have a tank slightly bigger than yours which houses two I am planning to add a third as well. As long as you provide a hide for each Axolotl and there are enough barriers, plants etc so they can have there own space and not feel crowded you should be ok, you may be cleaning waste quiet a bit too.

What have you been using to cycle the tank? you really should invest in a water test kit, £30 will get you a years worth of tests! The PVC pipe is a great hide I use them also.

Shizeric

Reaction score
Pictures would help significantly (especially of the substrate). And 3 is more work than 2 because of the increased feeding, cleaning, and the setup of the tank would require more hides and whatnot to accomodate more axolotls.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Pictures would help significantly (especially of the substrate). And 3 is more work than 2 because of the increased feeding, cleaning, and the setup of the tank would require more hides and whatnot to accomodate more axolotls.

Sorry Eric did not notice you were replying as well I stepped on your toes a little....I hate it when I give advice and it is just repeated by next person

ted22

Reaction score
Hellooo I agree 3 axies for a nooob will be mental its hard enough work lookin after one! Id recommend getting one to begin with and once you get the hang of things go from there! I wanted a black one and a white one but I am so glad i diddnt, axolotls are very easy to look after but it does take abit of practise to get it all right as their needs and requirements are quite specific (although easily achieved) its best to get one as your are bound to make a couple of begginners mistakes (dont worry we all have) and wouldnt want to risk the health of 3animals at the same time in the process.

Axolotls live a very long time you will have plenty of time to collect the whole set!

You are cycling your tank, are you doing daily 10-20% water changes? also unless your axies are babys theres no need for the brine shrimp they just make a mess! my axie loves crickets!

Hope you do the sensible thing, nice to meet you!

>ed<

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hellooo I agree 3 axies for a nooob will be mental its hard enough work lookin after one! Id recommend getting one to begin with and once you get the hang of things go from there! I wanted a black one and a white one but I am so glad i diddnt, axolotls are very easy to look after but it does take abit of practise to get it all right as their needs and requirements are quite specific (although easily achieved) its best to get one as your are bound to make a couple of begginners mistakes (dont worry we all have) and wouldnt want to risk the health of 3animals at the same time in the process.

Axolotls live a very long time you will have plenty of time to collect the whole set!

You are cycling your tank, are you doing daily 10-20% water changes? also unless your axies are babys theres no need for the brine shrimp they just make a mess! my axie loves crickets!

Hope you do the sensible thing, nice to meet you!

>ed<

It looks like he/she is doing a fishless cycle right now...well they have no axolotl so I assume there is no other fish/amphibian in the tank

ted22

Reaction score
It looks like he/she is doing a fishless cycle right now...well they have no axolotl so I assume there is no other fish/amphibian in the tank
Surely theres an ammonia source of some kind like a bit of food or something? otherwise how will it cycle?

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Def go with sand, pebbles will just tick you off and you will remove them.
Will play sand be ok if washed out properly... Cheapest option but i just put the pebbles in this morning my mum will have something to say about that :uhoh:(im not a kid lol, 17 but she wll object i have hassled her so much with axolotls and she didnt want me to get them in the first place (she thinks there ugly :mad: lol)

How large are the axolotl? if they are small you could house all three if you plan to upgrade in a few months.
Around 5cms is what iv been told and my mum would kill me if i said i was going to upgrade lol

I have a tank slightly bigger than yours which houses two I am planning to add a third as well. As long as you provide a hide for each Axolotl and there are enough barriers, plants etc so they can have there own space and not feel crowded you should be ok, you may be cleaning waste quiet a bit too.
You live in lewisham right.. Have u hered of supremes pet shop an axolotls in there needs saving i feel sorry for it :( if you want a third axolotl... (just thought i would let you know lol)

What have you been using to cycle the tank? you really should invest in a water test kit, £30 will get you a years worth of tests! The PVC pipe is a great hide I use them also.
I havnt used anything to cycle the tank i just keep trying to get my head around it i thought you could just leave it untill recently :( keep meaning to get a test kit found one one ebay just over £20 :wacko: I got a piece of pvc pipe for whilst their small and the large rocks make another hideing place... Just need some plants....

Whats the quickest thing you can suggest to get the axolotls off of this womens back i have hassled her for ages... I think she might be getting fed up with me and that....
Im working on getting some pictures having trouble with putting them on the computer... Thank you for your reply, oh do you give your axolotls earth worms if you do where do you get them from...

Shizeric

Reaction score
The best thing to do if you are doing a fishless cycle is try to get some substrate or something that would contain bacteria from an already established aquarium. Sometimes pet stores will give you a hand with this, or perhaps this woman who is selling you the Axolotls will have a bit you can borrow.

I feed my axolotls earth worms that I collect from my parent's yard.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Yea but you said do water change that wont be beneficial right now would it? might as well let the cycle work and change water when she is putting them in

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Help from everyone is appreciated i dont mind if its repeated and the more to read the more advice i will take in

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I am a little confused if you just filled the tank and let it run with no ammonia how can your water levels be high? If you have to get them now they can live in the tank it is not a bad size it just could be better or if you have the cash you could pick up a 60l tank that would house one while two go in the large tank.

But in my own opinion you can house them now and possibly as adults in the tank

Shizeric

Reaction score
But in my own opinion you can house them now and possibly as adults in the tank

Yeah, the general rule is 1ft or 10Gallons per Axoltol. A 3 ft. tank is probably 30 gallon.

This tank would be ok for 3 Axolotls, but with the 1 ft/Axolotl rule, this is the absolute maximum of Axies you can own comfortably.

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Ok i got the pictures of the tank, the tanks not finished and i have a lid just took it off for now since i put water in without treating it :confused: any suggestions please..., I dont know why my parameters are high... Im confused myself :confused:

Attachments

• DSC02229.jpg
    DSC02229.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC02230.jpg
    DSC02230.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC02233.jpg
    DSC02233.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 218

Shizeric

Reaction score
You won't need to change the water, as the chlorine will evaporate out as the water sits...usually 48 hours and the water will be fine. But, you do need to change the pebbles out. (They can potentailly be swallowed, and will trap a GREAT deal of waste and foul your water very quickly.) Also, if you plan for 3 axies, you will need more hides.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1