Question: Different sized hands, and gills - possible fungus

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Daz
Hi All,

I recently adopted an Axolotl who needed a home. I've had him a week and am in the process of cycling the tank, i know, i know, but am exercising caution with daily water changes (20%) and tests.

atm we're at 0.25 : 0 : 10 (am:nitrite:nitrate)

Water temp 20 degrees, just fitted a new cooling unit which is regulating it down a lot better.

I have the temperature regulated and am sure these issue were existing before i got him.

He's getting used to his surroundings but the longer I have him the more I'm noticing strange things.

Just want to run them past you in case there is something up with him. It may be that Axolotl are quite often not totally symetrical, or could be disease hence why I'm asking.

1. His hands seem sifferent sized, his rear right is a bit larger than his rear left and the same is said for the front.

2. Two of his toes appear to be fused together on his rear right.

3. His gills are longer one side than the other.

4. On his head, near his gills near to where he has dark pigmentation is a flap of much lighter white, I'm worried it's fungus but is very symetical and is on the other side in the same place.

Here's some detail you can see his gills and his rear leg (with gammy foot):

SNV32427.jpg

Should I salt bath him?
Will his gills grow to be nice and long like lots of your's with plenty of care?
Do the abnormalities indicate genetic issues?

Thanks y'all

Hi dazkeirle,

You are fine with cycling the tank with your axie in it as you are evidently keeping up with the parameters. Keep doing what you are doing and you should be fine. If you have any questions along the way, you know you can ask questions so no worries.

I don't see anything on your axie that looks like fungus. What you describe just sounds like regular pigmentation. Fungus typically looks cottony or wool-like, I am not seeing that. If this changes, let us know and we will help you. No salt baths needed right now though.

The odd gills, misshapen feet could be genetics and/or the parts have been bitten off and regenerated uniquely. His gills are looking pretty nice already but could fill out more in time. Continue to love him, feed him some nice, juicy earthworms, and I think you guys will be fine! I am certainly happy to hear he has landed with such a caring owner and I wish you the best with him. :D

ahh thats great piece of mind thank you,

haven't had a pet since i was a boy and since getting Fred have discovered a strong paternal streak in me.

I've actually spent more of my wages on him than me this month :)

This forum has been a godsend and has put me in the right direction for proper Axolotl care, I promise to keep to adhere to these rules and give Fred the life he deserved from the beginning.

I suppose i was just concerned about his unique areas as I see so many photogenic and fantastic specimens on here, but i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as long as he's happy then he could have 2 fingers and upside down gills for all i care.

Thanks for your reassurance.

My albino has two merged toes and also a spliced toe...she has straight gills on one side and curly on the other....she also has a couple with missing toes that never grew back (she has had no such injury with me I promise) I think most Axolotl have unique characteristics, but it is good you confirmed better to be a worry wart than laid back if you ask me:rolleyes:

My Juan has only one decent set of toes on all his feet.. the rest are just black little nubs. No one has ever mentioned it so I think i was the only person who knows.. except you guys now ;)

strange isnt it, that these abnormailties are so common with axies

i suppose axies themselves are genetically wrong, larvae that never mature so we can't really be surprised that elements of their anatomy reach a certain point of development and then stop.

it does make me more comfortable though knowing that fred's differences aren't severe and that they arnt giving him and discomfort, as you guys have perfectly happy axies with similar complaints.

i do hope though with freds new care and continuous doting from me that the conditions he's now in will promote a new growth spurt in his gills.

While they are lovely and bushy, they're not very long, especially on one side.

I think it depends a lot on genetics, I brought two of my Axolotl from a pet shop and they have always been a little sickly, but my other I brought from a respected breeder and he is perfect...nice straight long gills the right number of fingers and toes were they should be.

I assume it has somethings to do with direct inbreeding and a bad start in life.

Just to warn you Darren you are going to be worried quite a bit for a while...they are the strangest creatures, my albino sometimes just stands with her right side legs only resting her body on the floor I used to worry so much but she can walk perfectly when she wants too. my leucistic gets his head so wonky sometimes just chilling out with his head on the floor or under his body. I have learned when something is wrong you will KNOW something is wrong

looks fine to me too, the missing gill could be genetics, the fingers part could have been bitten before.

Yeah,

After doing lots of reading here i see it's not that uncommon for these limbs and appendages to be non uniform.

I've also found that Fred was originally from a mass selling aquatics shop called watermarque which i can only imagine treated him like ****.

Oh well he's getting the best possible care now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back