Can tiger salamanders climb?

dixychickca

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I bought a new fish tank awhile back measuring 30"L x 12"W x 12"H. Last night when I was watching TV I heard a thud and I thought nothing of it. When I was just about ready to go to bed, I looked down on the floor and my little guy was crawling on the floor. He never got out of his other home, I wonder what changed. I also hope he's ok, especially when he fell. Is there a reason why he would want to get out? He has a bigger home now.

Course with pets, they are really never satisfied :happy:.

My tiger tries to climb out when he gets hungry (I think he does it just so I will notice how starving and fat he is, lol), or when I feed him he will do it to try and get more food from me.

I have never seen him get anywhere close to escaping as he is never able to do more than lean against the glass and try to push himself up, but I have heard of other tigers escaping so I wouldn't put it past them to escape if they really wanted out.

if I was you I wouldn't worry, maybe extend the rim of your tank with ducktape to make sure he can't escape again, it seems that a normal healthy tiger will on occasion see if he can get out like a "OH YEAH!?!?! I can break out of this joint anytime I want to!"-type of thing.

All newts and salamanders are capable of escape. In my opinion, all setups for them must be absolutely 100% escape-proof. Think Alcatraz. You were lucky; many escapes are fatal. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Escape

Two of mine regularly climb the plants attached to the back wall of their tank. I often find one of them resting at the top right hand corner of the tank, on top of the plant. He seemingly likes to chill out there! It amuses me greatly to watch this 'burrowing' species climb up the plants etc instead of burrowing in the deep substrate I have for him.

My tiger salamander managed to get out once from a 4-liter ice-cream bucket (I found it in the basement 2 days later), and another time it escaped from a storage box (it went to a pile of moss I was keeping on the floor).

Sometimes I see it stand right on it's tail, and try to climb up the wall...
30682_449464874895_616599895_5912520_8230622_n.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back