Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Aquarium set-up?

dbzmandan

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new to Axolotls and have quite a few questions about their aquarium set-up.

First off, the filter:
What kind of filter do you use?
Is an under-gravel filter okay? (I cannot afford a cannister filter...)
Are there any other filters that keep the water relatively still?

Secondly, the gravel:
How big does it need to be? (So the axolotl doesn't eat it...)
Can I just paint the bottom of the aquarium? (On the outside of course!)

Thirdly, the decorations:
Can I just use a tube that you use for hamsters? (A long straight one. As a hiding place)
Can I use fake plants?
Anything else that I could use for a hiding place?

And lastly, do I need a bubbler? I thought axolotls preferred still water, so I didn't think that would work.

Thanks!

Blaze

Reaction score
OKies I will try and answer your questions as best as I can!

An under gravel does what it's called, you use it with gravel and since you cannot have gravel with axies your better off with another filter. Cannisters are expensive but very good filters. Internal filters are good but they can heat up your water if you havn't got a chiller or your water is already really cold. If your water is moving to fast with a filter you can get a spray bar, put some sponge over the output or if it has a level turn the output down.

You would be absolutly surprised what an axolotl can fit in it's mouth. You can use like stones a couple inches in diameter but then food and waste gets trapped beneath it. You are better off going with a barebottom and paint the bottom of your tank like you'd like to do or you can use childrens play sand which looks great and is way easy to clean.

Decorations, well let your imagination run! I wouldn't suggest many plastic things that arn't meant for aquariums because they can leech toxic stuff into your water. Fake plants are great as they require no light and still look good. Some slate tiles (must be steady) or caves are fine for hides.

No bubbler really needed for them although SOME like to play in them but not all.

Feel free to ask anymore questions

Blaze

Last edited:

jclee

Reaction score
To throw in my two cents: under gravel filters don't really allow for manual removal of waste, so I'm not fond of them. Filters that hang of the back (HOB) of the tank can be fairly inexpensive, and might suit your needs.

You can certainly paint the (exterior) base of the tank and leave it bare. I spraypaint backings onto all my tanks, and somehow, it only now occured to spraypaint the base of a tank I was going to leave bare-bottom. Kudos to you for thinking of it first-off. It didn't occur to me with my first axolotl tank.

As Blaze said, keep the questions coming. We're a chatty and helpful group. :p

dbzmandan

Reaction score
If I have an exterior filter, wouldn't I need the aquarium full? I read on a website that it was only supposed to be half full? Also, if I used an exterior, would I just stick a sponge under it so there was little water flow? If I were to do that, how would I adhere the sponge to the tank?

Thanks!

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have an external canister filter, and I just point the outflow of the filter directly at the side of the tank to decrease flow. And you should fill your tank fully either way to help maintain the quality of the water.

dbzmandan

Reaction score
Eric, by external, I mean one that hangs on the side of the aquarium...I don't think I will be able to afford a cannister filter. (I did, however, find one on eBay for REALLY cheap, so if I can get that, that would be awesome.)

EDIT: In addition, I think I remember reading somewhere that sponge filters work. Is that true? Thanks!
EDIT2: MAC! I saw your review on Petco.com for the ZooMed 501 filter :p

Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Oh, a they are usually called HOT for Hang on Tank...and you can just put fake plants in front of the outflow of water, that usually dampens the flow enough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!