Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating and lethargic

bangadrum

Reaction score
Both of our axolotls have just recovered from a fungus attack.

Charlie has recovered absolutely fine.
Boris seems sluggish and lethargic, and spends much of his time floating limply sitting in/on a plant.
He's clear of fungus and is eating small amounts. He's always been the quieter and slower of the two, but this is still very out of character for him. His body is very limp and he's not holding his body in an axolotl like manner.

bangadrum

Reaction score
He's just floating with his legs hanging down, often slightly rolled to one side. I'll put some photos up in a bit.
Temp is a bit higher than I'd like ~21C, but the other axolotl is behaving perfectly normally. Last water tests were fine just before they went back in, I shall test again later this evening.

melfly

Reaction score
He's just floating with his legs hanging down, often slightly rolled to one side. I'll put some photos up in a bit.
Temp is a bit higher than I'd like ~21C, but the other axolotl is behaving perfectly normally. Last water tests were fine just before they went back in, I shall test again later this evening.

Some axolotls can be a little more sensitive to heat/parameters

Mel

bangadrum

Reaction score
IMG00191-20100624-1828.jpg
IMG00192-20100624-1829.jpg
IMG00193-20100624-1829.jpg
IMG00194-20100624-1829.jpg

None of these really show it, the silly boy keeps smartening up for the camera! He's not eating and is very sluggish. He floats, then lets a big bubble out and sinks, then darts to the top, gulps and floats again. He doesn't seem stressed though, and will happily do some swimming when the mood takes him.

He's in a shallow tub at the moment to get round floating issues, and he has a small blob of fungus on his skin. We've previously treated fungus with salt baths, but I'm cautious to do this when he's so weak. I've heard of using mercurochrome, but don't know of anywhere to obtain it.

bangadrum

Reaction score
He now seems to have fungus on his mouth :(

Anyone know of a herp vet in or near Buckinghamshire, UK?

bangadrum

Reaction score
Water parameters are fine. Gills are trashed from a very bad fungus attack a while back, which he doesn't seem to have recovered from properly.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Looks rough. His gill shave diminished. Dorsal crest is gone as well. Check your temps and water parameters again and let the water cycle properly.

bangadrum

Reaction score
Filter is a fluval U2 or U3, with a spray bar for output.
Water changes are twice weekly, done as we hoover the tank.

Water parameters were okay 3 days ago when I took him out of the tank, and the tank had cycled properly both before and after the axolotls went in.

I shall go and test the water again though.

bangadrum

Reaction score
Well went to check on him in his tub (water changed twice daily) and to test the tank again and he died sometime this evening.

The tank with his friend Charlie in it tested a little high for ammonia but fine for nitrite and nitrate, I had a clean and changed some water, but Charlie has been in full health for ages.

RIP Boris :(

shoegal

Reaction score
Bangadrum~ I am so sorry to hear that Boris did not make it. He was a cute little guy. : (

It sounds like your tank may not have been fully cycled since ammonia was still present when you tested the parameters.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!