Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl's hand eaten by tank mate

Azariel

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I found my little leucistic female Pilku with the skin of her right hand partially ripped off like a glove. Part of the skin was hanging and we could see her finger's bones.

I fridged her for 10 days till it looked way better and practically fully healed, and put her back to the tank with her male wild type companion.

Horror this morning when I fed them, Pilku was hidden and her full right hand was missing till the elbow.

She's back to the fridge. Wondering if there's any product, that could be found in European Union, I could add to the water to avoid infection?
She is currently very red, especially her tail and legs. Infection? Trauma?

Here are the pics from the first and the second attack.

Attachments

• 28983_403062773646_555268646_4370614_4919494_n.jpg
    28983_403062773646_555268646_4370614_4919494_n.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3,237
  • 34272_406280583646_555268646_4459845_2333225_n.jpg
    34272_406280583646_555268646_4459845_2333225_n.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3,448
Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
As long as you don't see any sign of fungus..fresh dechlorinated water is all you need.

What size tank are you keeping the 2 Axolotls in, how many hides do you have, and what is your feeding routine?

Her gills also look pretty small..what are you tank parameters? nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and temp?

Azariel

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. I just gave her a little light salt bath.

The tank is about 200l, plenty of plants and hides, there has never been any problems before. They used to get along very well.

Her gills have always been small and the others gills long. Parameters are good, temp changes from time to time (around 18° - 22° when very hot). No amonia.

One more pic.

Attachments

• P1020057B.JPG
    P1020057B.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 3,746
  • P1020052B.JPG
    P1020052B.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 1,837

melfly

Reaction score
Aww bless!
Keep an eye out for fungus.
I cant quite tell from the picture, but if it starts looking cotton wolley then you'll need to start salt baths.

Mel

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

in my opinion the wound looks fine - I can´t see any fungus, so there´s no need for salt bathing her. Keep her in cold and dechlorinated tap water - that´s all you have to do for her. But keep a closed eye on her.

Tina

Azariel

Reaction score
This didn't happen during feeding, I just noticed it at this moment.
It happened during the night most likely.

I have been, since a month, quite away from my place so they have been alone a lot. Getting very excited every time I was dropping to see them. Can the boredom of no-social contact make some difference in their behaviour?

Azariel

Reaction score
I fed them as much as usually, dropped to see them everyday.
For some unknown reason, I read everywhere that they aren't social animals and the first word who comes about mine is "social"!
But that's maybe due to the fact that Scandinavians are rude barbarians =P

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Once the axolotls make the association between you and food, they are condicioned to expect it everytime you move close to the tank. It happens with most caudates after a while.
It´s quite common for them to become very excited when they receive this stimuli, and since they are oportunistic animals that are programmed to snap at anything that moves, in the confussion they might bite each other. Normally this is not a problem and the agression is accidental and minimal, but on occasion a leg or the tail is damaged.

As far as the wound doesn´t get infected, and if the animal is healthy, this shouldn´t be a problem, they are well equiped to deal with such things.

melfly

Reaction score
Some axolotls are moody and do tend to snap at others.
I have a gold female Fred who was a nightmare at one point, she injured both my leucistic and wild. I saw her following the wild round the tank snapping at her. My wilds leg has never been the same since she attacked her once.

I kept Fred in a seperate tank for a while. Since moving back about 8 months ago she's been a lot better, altho i have noticed my wilds tail looks a little ragged. If she keeps it up I may have to seperate her permenantly.

Thing is, even with hides and enough room they tend to group together and sit on each others heads!!! lol

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1