Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spotted Salamander Tank(56k Users Beware, Picture Heavy)

Manion

Reaction score
I recently cleaned out my spotted salamander tank and decided it was time for a new design. For some reason my spotted salamanders love swimming, so I made it partially aquatic. Here are some pictures:

1277338494.jpg

1277338512.jpg

1277338536.jpg

1277338552.jpg

1277338568.jpg

1277338589.jpg

I'm happy to say that come this September, it'll be three years since I got them. :happy:

obrowell

Reaction score
Random question I know, but what have you found is the best way of feeding spotted sals? Do you just leave worms in there for them to find (if this is what you feed)? This is what I am currently doing but without tearing the tank apart, thus disturbing the salamander, I find it difficult to monitor their food intake. Thanks.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I have spotted sals and blue spotted sals. I have thier substrate at 1-3cm. I have hides in there and that is where they are most of the time. I dangle worms in the opening of the hides and they strike and eat them. Once I have them in this "taming setup" for a few months, I move them into a more natural setup but they dont dig underground as much because they know I feed them in thier hides.

Manion

Reaction score
Random question I know, but what have you found is the best way of feeding spotted sals? Do you just leave worms in there for them to find (if this is what you feed)? This is what I am currently doing but without tearing the tank apart, thus disturbing the salamander, I find it difficult to monitor their food intake. Thanks.

Mine crawl around at night, and I usually leave the food in a small plastic dish. I know my smaller one only eats one or two, so if I have a lot left over, I unfortunately have to get the bigger one out of his burrow, which is similar to what you do.

I dangle worms in the opening of the hides and they strike and eat them. Once I have them in this "taming setup" for a few months, I move them into a more natural setup but they dont dig underground as much because they know I feed them in thier hides.

Interesting, I'll have to try that next time I feed them.

obrowell

Reaction score
My little one seems really shy and I am yet to see it eat, although I am fairly certain it is snacking every now and then. My other sals (fires and Tigers) all eat from the hand and are quite bold so I have gotten used to feeding like this. I'm hoping that seeing as though I've only had her for just under a month as soon as she has settled in I will be able to try the 'dangling' technique!

Griffin8891

Reaction score
The Spotted Salamander that we have had for over ten years eats crickets no problem. It just snaps them up when they come near the entrance to his hide spot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!