Internal fungal infection?

rsmith

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello
I think my axolotl might have an internal fungal infection, has anyone experienced this before. It wants to eat but can't suck food in anymore as if the fungus is blocking its system. This happened about a year ago to another one which eventually died although tried various treatments such as methylene blue and salt baths at various times.Also used Baytril bath but possibly too far gone by then. With the first one I found a mass of gel like stuff that had been expelled and under the microscope it looked like fungus. It happened very gradually the first time with my axolotl only able to eat smaller and smaller pieces of liver or heart over several months until it couldn't take any in at all. This time it has come on much more rapidly and axolotl is losing weight now.Don't think it can have swallowed gravel as gravel pieces quite large.
thanks
Becky

A photo of your axolotl and your tank set up may be helpful. Axolotl can get mouth infections, but I sure this will require vet help.
If your gravel/ stones are anything smaller than the size of your axolotl's head, then they are able to ingest it.

Hello
I think my axolotl might have an internal fungal infection, has anyone experienced this before. It wants to eat but can't suck food in anymore as if the fungus is blocking its system. This happened about a year ago to another one which eventually died although tried various treatments such as methylene blue and salt baths at various times.Also used Baytril bath but possibly too far gone by then. With the first one I found a mass of gel like stuff that had been expelled and under the microscope it looked like fungus. It happened very gradually the first time with my axolotl only able to eat smaller and smaller pieces of liver or heart over several months until it couldn't take any in at all. This time it has come on much more rapidly and axolotl is losing weight now.Don't think it can have swallowed gravel as gravel pieces quite large.
thanks
Becky

im intrigued, as this sounds about identical to what mine is going thru. late last year she was eating fine but then could only eat smaller and smaller bits of food and now, almost nothing for nearly a month. shes hungry but cant suck food in. however, i dont see any fungus. been fridged for almost 3 weeks and no change.

Have removed all stones smaller than Axel's head, naively thought 2 cm stones would be okay but his head is bigger than that. Can't post photo as I'm a forum amateur but tank is 70cm x 30cm with gentle corner filter/aerator(on all the time) plus another internal filter which comes on briefly twice a day as is more powerful. ph is 7.4.Temperature usually about 20 Celsius. He has hardly any gill feathers, they disappeared when I added his tank mate (Slash) about 3 years ago. Slash also lost his feathers but they seemed to be healthy for several years until they developed this not eating problem. Slash died last year.

Hello,

I would strongly recommend getting your axolotl to a vet. If it is an internal fungal infection, then the vet can provide appropriate medication, although tests would probably be necessary before that diagnosis was decided on.

Hope you can get him/her sorted out.

Bruce.

Hello
thanks
Becky

Hello
thanks
Becky

My Axolotl (Rufus) stopped eating, and also didn't move much (he's normally quite active) for the past few weeks, so i bought some melafix (it helps cure bacterial infections, which its likely to be), someone on this forum said to halve the dose, as it is meant for fish, and something about his skin... and it's very strong...so i've put 1ml in every evening for the past few days, and he's started being more like him allready! i also decided to change his diet from cat fish pellets to frozen blood worms, and he is now eating fine and acting normal... hope this helps?

I'm not an expert, and if Rufus suddenly dies, i will definately let you know :p but so far he's back to normal, just a bit fussier with his eating.

Maria x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back