Illness/Sickness: This can't be normal.

thaigoog

Reaction score
Country
United States
fae6902481ae.jpg

HELP!!

Not exactly sure what you are asking for help on. But the curled tail is a sign of stress. What are your water parameters and can you provide a picture of the entire enclosure?

Edit: is the tail curled or like broken?

If you keep the temp down, water parameters in line, and feed appropriately that little kink should heal no problem. I wouldn't be to concerned.

I have been having issues with the temperature of the tank not fluctuating due to summer and a poorly air conditioned apartment and i am concerned this may have stressed poor Google. I used to float water bottles to where it'd read at 68% but when I would arrive home from work in the afternoon it'd be as high as 78! I currently placed the tank in front of my ac unit in order to keep it below 68 degrees constantly. I also have no filter but change 75% of the water out weekly. I use dechlorinator for the tank and have been using extra in order to hopefully repair the damage to his tail. My water however does appear cloudy at times.

His tail to me appears to be broken and flimsy as it may break off. I tried to get a better picture but he wouldn't hold still. Any advice is much appreciated.

Why use extra dechlorinator? That doesn't even make sense. What size is the tank, and temperatures that high will definitely have a negative affect on google's health.

Hi, sorry to hear about your little one being ill.:(
Temperatures like 78f will stress him BIG time, and I'm glad he's cooler now (68f is great, but sudden changes in anything like temp is something he'll not like).
I must say that I think 'Google' is a wonderful name !!
As for your water changes, I would say maybe a third of that amount but three times more often.....
I doubt that its a good idea to use more than the recommended amount of the de-chlorinator......I might be wrong on this.

I forgot to say....

I dont know what your set-up is (details please) but;

1. a mesh rather than a conventional hood over the tank
2. a desk-top fan or a set-up with PC fans (remember about safety)
3. a filter/pump to provide a bit of exchange.
4. no unnecessary heat output from any lights

Each of the above should lower the temperature a degree or so

Let us know how you get on, and I hope Google feels better soon ;)

Thanks guys for the helpful feedback.
and I'm new at this I honestly do not know the proper name of the solution I have been using but it is a chemical that helps in making tap water safe. Water conditioner maybe? But it removes chlorine and chloramine from the water. When I am home later I will confirm that. But it does say in order to help repair fins and gills to add two teaspoons per 10 gallons as opposed to the regular one teaspoon to treat the water.
I have a 10 gallon tank. Conventional hood. I keep no lights on. I will keep at it and send updates!

I doubt that its a good idea to use more than the recommended amount of the de-chlorinator......I might be wrong on this.

You are probably right... but "Prime" claims to:
Remove chlorine and chloramine
Detoxifies ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and heavy metals
Safely condition water without a pH drop or overactivating protein skimmers

Do you use stress coat?

This is a good question. If you are using stress coat, please stop. It puts a nasty slimy coat on everything!

Don't add any extra dechlorinator in any case, as everyone has stated, it won't do anything but potentially cloud your water.

I would suggest a trip to the fridge for little Google until you get his tank sorted out. Fridging

Also, have a look through here for advice about cooling.

The drastic temperature fluctuations alone will not only stress him but can kill him.

Good luck.

Is there something in the tank that could hurt him like so? Sometimes the axolotls go after their own tails too but it does not look like it was biten maybe google hit something or something fell

The tip of my axolotl's tail looked similar to that once. It was broken off/cut by something in the tank. Eventually the tip fell off and grew back (not quite as perfect as before though). She didn't seem particularly bothered by it once the damage was done.

So as the HitmanSougo13 mentioned, check for any sharp objects etc. in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back