Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I Can't Figure Out This Tail Thing!

Sean1364

Reaction score
One of my Axolotls has an obviously curved tail and I cannot figure out why. It's really bothering me, as I'm willing to do anything to make them feel better. Does anyone have a checklist of things that stress an Axolotl out?

The chemical levels are good.
The water is still where she is hanging out.
She's been fed shrimp regularly (because she refuses earthworms).
The light has always been on since I got them (and this tail is a recent development).
The temperature is 20 C.

Honestly, I don't know. I don't feel like anything has changed since the day I got them. She doesn't appear unhealthy in any other way. She'll swim around, she'll bite at anything that comes her way, and she's eating regularly (minus refusing earthworms). Any ideas? Is she sick? How would I tell? There's no abnormal behavior present.

Kiowa

Reaction score
Hi Sean1364

How many water changes do you do and how much?
What subtrate is in the tank?

cheers

Kiowa

Reaction score
Only do 20% water changes, too much water change can stress the axolotl.

Last edited:

Sean1364

Reaction score
Only do 20% water changes to much water change can stress the axolotl

But would they still be stressed an entire 12 hours after the change? For some reason, something still has it bothered. Just the one. The other is fine.

Kiowa

Reaction score
Apprantly axies do curl their tales. It is bendy like a dog or cats tail, however it is the tip that is the worry. Is the tip curled?

Kiowa

Reaction score
I am not exactly sure I am sure someone else who is good expert can help however another common cause is water flow from the filters I know a friend who had a strong water flow and one axie was more stressed.

Sean1364

Reaction score
I am not exactly sure I am sure someone else who is good expert can help however another common cause is water flow from the filters I know a friend who had a strong water flow and one axie was more stressed.

Originally thought so, so I took measures to lighten the outflow. The area the Axolotl hangs out is completely tranquil. She's still stressed. Also, the other Axolotl in the tank isn't bothered at all.

I'm worried, but at least she's still swimming about and eating.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Why are you doing daily water changes? On a cycled tank you shouldn't need to do any more than 15% once a week.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Try doing a water change only every 2 or 3 days and see if that helps. The stress of being bothered everyday is probably the reason.

Sean1364

Reaction score
I just don't know, and I fear that this will become a fatal problem soon.

The Axolotl is just staying in one place, has the obviously curved tail, and turns away whenever anything is in front of it (including food my finger which they used to love to bite.) The only thing this one Axolotl will eat is shrimp, but I'm trying to avoid feeding that to them as it is messy as Hell and just lines the bottom of the tank. I really don't want this Axolotl to die, but I have no idea what's wrong with her. There are no physical signs of problems that I can see. Her tankmate is fine.

Sean1364

Reaction score
Sounds stressed to me. What are your water parameters and how many hides do you have in the tank?

This is a 40 gallon tank and there is one other Axolotl in there with her. There were six guppies in there as well, but I removed five of them when this Axolotl appeared stressed (the other Axolotl ate the last one).

I'd provide you with chemical levels, but I found out that I accidentally used my saltwater kit to get my last set. And apparently the levels are different between saltwater and freshwater kits(?) I'll provide them as soon as I can find my freshwater kit. I do know however that the temperature is 22 C, the pH is about 7.8, and the Ammonia level is 0.

ted22

Reaction score
Hey, 22degrees is getting abit on the high side, any chance of getting a fan and a few bubble stones to get the temp down? ideally 15-18degrees you dont really want to be getting much more than 20deg for long periods, heat can stress an axie big time! I dunno if a curled tail is heat related but your axies will definitely appreciate the cooler temperature!

In your first post you said you always have the light on, are you aware that axies do not like light and do not need light theyre hatred for light only worsens when they get older so only dim lights should be used (if any) with lots of shade, my axie gets uber pissed when it comes to light but seems to like the moonlight lighting i have at the mo!

Last edited:

Kiowa

Reaction score
Hi

Also the light can emit heat and the reason axolotls do not like light as Ed mentioned is because they simply have no eyelids. I hope your axolotl gets better :)

Last edited:

kimko86

Reaction score
I keep a fan on my tank pointed toward the water because it helps divert heat from the light (when I have it on) and it also helps cool the tank by a couple of degrees. My tank stayed at 68 to 69 degrees most of the time until I bought a new clip on fan, now it stays around 65 degrees.
And heat is a big stessor so that might be why his tail is curled.

Kim

Sean1364

Reaction score
Ok, I've kept the temperature around 15 C now and because they are now a very pale pink color (including the gills), I got take a good look at the Axolotls. There appear to be no physical problems with either.

Also, the other one, despite having an impressive display on both sides, only moves one side when breathing. Is that normal? Don't both sides usually pull back when breathing?

Anyway, temperature is at 15 C consistently, light is off, water flow is gentle, lots of hides. The stressed one wont eat worms, the other will. I can only get the stressed one to eat shrimp, and even then, I'm not sure how much actually gets eaten.

Last edited:

Sean1364

Reaction score
Sorry for the quality of the picture, but are these dark spots under the Axolotl's mouth normal?

Attachments

• 2010-07-09 18.59.40.jpg
    2010-07-09 18.59.40.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 315
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!