Purchasing Ambystoma

JWERNER

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jay
I think I have decided to go with a Tiger in one of my future terrariums.

I have the tank and all I need to get started on the terrarium but I need to find a Tiger ( of course I will make the purchase after the tank is up and seeded ). I was wondering, aside from some of our members where else can I look for quality specimens online?

I tried the local pet shop but the scene here is so weak do to the lack of shops they wont even bother ordering one.

Since these are 99% all wild caught you either wait it out for someone to post a specimen or group they are selling in the for sale, or you can look on kingsnake.com. Just be careful with who you deal with there as there are some disreputable characters over there. Curious what is driving you towards a tiger. I love mavortiums but I am always curious what makes someone seek terrestrial vs aquatic. Certainly there are some relatively easy to care for aquatics as well.

What are you seeding the tank with? Springtails? Not sure an adult tiger would necessarily pay attention much less eat a tiny springtail. So unless you were getting a juvy I wouldn't worry about the seeding and letting the springs population increase.

Just so that it´s clear, selling WC animals in this forum is not permited. There might be one free to a good home, though, it´s worth checking.

It´s preferable that you take one larva/juvenile from the wild yourself (provided that it´s legal in your area) than to get them from a seller, specially if it´s one that sells in mass.

Merk 199, I have done quite a few Newts and some smaller Salamanders like Long Tailes and all in the past so Im kinda wanting to stray down a different road. I also like the character and the funny faces they have when they look at you. I have been around some here and there in the past, never kept my own, and I have to say they have a more desirable personality than any other Salamanders I have kept.

I do realize that seeding it would be pointless now that you mentioned it.

Azheal, I am aware of that. I have been a member here for quite some time, I just fell off the face of the earth for a bit. I know some people on here might be doing some CB projects as well which is why I keep tabs on things. On the other hand, that is also a reason why I asked where else to get one in the event that I would come across a WC. I do desire CB over WC any day and they are very rare in my area. Im almost positive they are illegal to obtain from the wild in this state as well.

My Tiger Salamander is Great. Personally i think it is the bomb. It Does Like to watch T.V. With my wife though. It seems to come out of its Hide when the T.V is on.. She Says it likes to watch The Bachelorette lol.. Who knows.. As long as it is healthy and happy im Ok with what ever it does. Really easy to care for and Doesn't Take up much time. Hasn't cost me much money as the Worms i find are free and crickets. The Winter time just buy crickets and Worms from the bait shop. As been said don't bother with any of the springtails unless you are buying a juvenile then i guess you can.. Though you still would be able to hit some sort of bog or pond and find everything you need there also.. Anyhow Post some pics when you get One and take some time and look at my guy @ my album. Hes really cool:>
Anyhow.. Good luck and Happy Tiger hunting..Hope you find a great one:>

What state do you live in? I would suggest collecting your own. Right now ponds all over the country(within tigers' range) have advanced tiger larvae(3-8in). I looked and found some. I have looked for the past two years though. Get a field guide for your state or check the dnr website for your state to see thier range. Check if collecting is legal. Go to where they occur in your state and look for some healthy ponds. I would reccommend staying at least 30 min at each pond because they are hard to find. I suggest collecting your own because I hate supporting the pet-trade and collecting one larva from a pond, even a handful won't hurt the wild population much if any.

Last edited:
Thanks Wolferic, I'll check out your pics.

caudatadude28, I live in Delaware and I find it almost impossible to find anything except for info on water foul and fish. PA was easy. I could dig up anything when I lived in PA. I have read a few blogs from some Herpetologists at the University and they are said to be in my general area ( Sussex County ) but they are even hard for these guys to find supposedly.

When a healthy population is found its usually in November during egg laying.

I have scoped out so many pools its not funny but I come up empty handed. I have been around some areas that would be a Salamanders heaven but I pull nothing at all, just Frogs, and lots of E. Box Turtles! I know of a few marshes and bogs that resemble the one in the top banner of the home page. Nothing what so ever. And the part that I find funny is that their is no predators either. The water seems healthy but there are no fish that would prey on and decimate a community:rolleyes:. I am almost certain they are considered endangered and protected here anyway but I would love to at least add one to my list fo things I found for my own GP.

I got one last resort ( unless anyone else has any leads for this area ). My wife works at a book store and a co-worker dates a local photographer named Kevin Flemming. Does some pretty good books based on wild life in the area. Im trying to set something up where I could at least get some notes on where he found some. My avatar pic is one of his pics.

I'm not sure that it is legal to have A. tigrinum in Smellaware.

If a tiger is for your beautiful setup with moss posted in a thread earlier, I would advise against it. It will most likely destroy the setup by digging the plants and moss up. They are very rewarding pets though. Kingsnake has many available. Are are wildcaught though. If you go that route, I would get a recently caught specimen because wholesalers often treat animals poorly.

Its not. Like I said in the initial post of this thread, I have to set everything up first after I decide where Im getting one from.

It took a minute but yeah after I asked in that thread I realized quick that it would get trashed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back