firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Lydia
Hi,

A few weeks ago I noticed that one of my P. cinereus seems to have developed something white-coloured under his/her skin on the abdomen. I was able to get a picture of the sal's belly last night and was wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 38176_718743725019_36815130_42211885_6973910_n.jpg
    38176_718743725019_36815130_42211885_6973910_n.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 379
Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely eggs. Plethodontids are known for developing eggs but never laying them, so best of lucks, i hope yours do!!

Neat! I had hoped they were eggs!

Is there anything I can do to encourage laying?

Just provide excellent conditions and hope for the best.
There are a few threads about plethodontids which end up not laying the eggs. You might want to do a search for them and see if there´s something to learn from them. I can´t really help you...i only have two plethodontids and i´m not even sure of the sex...¬¬

For all the people who keep them, i don´t think it can be said that they are bred frequently. Still, for a plethodontid, they are the easy ones.

Over the last week in particular I noticed that the female was putting on a lot of weight in general. As of 2 days ago she has stopped emerging from her burrow at night to feed, and the male - who routinely spend days in the burrow with her in the past - is now spending his days in a different hiding spot. I'm hoping this means that the female has decided to lay the eggs, although I'm also a bit paranoid that something might have happened to her. I'm afraid to check in on her because her burrow is hard to access and I don't want to disturb her if she has laid the eggs. Is this the best course of action? Is this behaviour consistent with egg-laying behaviour?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back