Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Newt and a Problem from the start!

hcalh380

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new here and just received my 4 Cynops orientalis today. All looked good except one little female who is not using her one back leg. It is in an abnormal position, but there and no cuts on her skin. She is getting around fine in the tank, a little ackward in her movement, but at least she is in the water crawling around. My question is should I remover her from the others until she is hopefully better? I heard newts can regenerate limbs, if so could this potentially happen? :confused:

The newts are all happy and healthy. I will post a picture of her leg soon. Thanks for the help!

Hailey

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Unfortunately, your case is all too common. Petstore newts are often sick, injured, or weakened. I would isolate her from the rest of your newts right away. It sounds like maybe another newt grabbed her leg in a feeding frenzy and did one thier little newt death rolls. That could have dislocated or broke her leg without cutting it. Is the limp leg a different color from the rest of the body? If it is brocken and "dead" from the rest of the body, it could fall off and regenerate. Is she eating? What are your temperatures? Is she skinny? Answering these questions and posting a pic would be helpul to assess her problem.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the leg is just limp, but looks healthy, I would not necessarily recommend separating her. Watch closely at feeding time and make sure she is eating and none of them are aggressive toward her.

hcalh380

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! She is actually eating the most out of all my newts. There is what looks to be a sore on the back of the hip joint and that is where the joint looks to be messed up. It is definitely not a fungus or any of that sort, although it appears to be dead. The limb is completely unusable. She is surprisingly getting around quite well and the others are leaving her be. I am happy that she is eating, she is definitely very skinny compared to the other 2 (one was not happy when they arrived yesterday and he did not make it but a few hours, he was seperate from them though because I knew he did not look good.) My male is big and happy and fat, my other female is very tiny but has a healthy look to her. She will not enter the water and when she does go in she flops around and quickly finds a way back onto my mossy island. With time she will learn to love the water. I am not sure where they came from, weather it be a breeder or captured. I got them from Carolina Biological since I am a Bio teacher and have had success with other organisms from them. I would post a picture, but I can't seem to find the right setting on my camera when she is sitting still!! Again thank you so much!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1