Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lost feet growing back? Also disformed leg?

MartinBr

Reaction score
So ive put Ohm'r and Voltrata into a larger tank that they will be in some days for now.
I can see that ohm'r have two stumps at his left side. Im pretty i can see new toes on the stumps so im hoping he will grow some new :) What do you think?

Voltrata has all her legs in place, but her right back leg is deformed. She must have lost it sometime and it grew out wrong. putting in some pics to show how it looks like. Is it deformed or is it just the way she has her leg?

I know the tank is pretty empty but its only for tonight
going to go out and buy lots of new stuff tomorrow. Plants, sand, stones etc.

They are just so lazy :p And it looks like they enjoy my filter, always hanging around it :p

My album with the pictures Axies pictures by Martbr - Photobucket

dragonlady

Reaction score
Yes, I can see the toes forming too so he should be fine. I can't tell if Voltrata's leg is deformed or not in that photo (#5, right?). I'd just keep an eye on her and even if it is deformed, as long as it's not hindering her I wouldn't worry about it.

Please post pics once you are all set up! ;) Just watch out for those stones, make sure they are all bigger than your axolotls' heads to prevent possible swallowing.

MartinBr

Reaction score
Yea i was planning buying some large stones to make some sort of cave or something.

You are right. It was picture 5. I saw her using her leg and walking around so i dont think it will be any problem:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1