Mouth Infection

stankford

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed yesterday that my axolotl's mouth was "stuck" slightly agape. It has since become clear (due to increasing inflammation and discoloration around the mouth) that he has developed some sort of infection. His behavior hasn't much changed and he will still try to eat. I'm moving him to the fridge for the time being. The picture linked to below was taken a full day after I first noticed something was wrong and I'm afraid of the problem worsening quickly...is it time to make an appointment with my vet? Could this this an example of stomatitis / mouth rot? I've done a major water change each of the last 2 days...should I be worried about his tank mate? Both axies are about 2.5 y/o. My axie has had a clean bill of health up until now and I'm really worried! Any advice from experienced axie owners / enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated.

picture:

http://i29.tinypic.com/2lcpem0.jpg

Was sand the only substrate you had?
Also, are there/were there any snails in with your axies?

Yes, the sand is the only substrate, and no -- he's never had non-axoltl tank mates.

Oooh...poor thing. Watch him eat, see if it seems painful to him or gets in the way of eating.
Find a vet that has experience with exotic pets, definitely the best choice.

I definitely recommend a vet as stated. Let us know how it goes!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back