Illness/Sickness: My Gold Axolotl has eaten a stone!

JMurphy

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there, this morning I noticed Axolotl sucked into his mouth quite a large stone, at least 1cm diameter, and now it seems to be in his abdomen, looking a bit distended, it is a bright pink stone which shop attendant advised would be safe! Is there anything I can do? He is still eating which is surprising! Any advise hugely appreciated!!!

Hi there,

I think the general rule here is to begin by fridging the Axolotl. Put him a container (ice cream tub) with fresh, dechlorinated, water, a secure lid and place him in a fridge.

This will help destress the Axie and will help relax his body.

Every day change the entire water, all 100% and keep doing this for a few days.

Don't worry about feeding etc for now, the fridging will slow the metabolic rate so that food is not required. You want the stone to be regurgitated and not pooped. Pooping could lead to full prolapse, not pretty and could be pretty fatal.

It's important you do this sooner than later, as the rock will gradually work through his system, doing it now may allow him to regurgitate the stone.

If is doesn't come out of his mouth, it may require a trip to the vets, as a stone that large could cause problems if he tries to pass it, their bodies are not a straight through system.

Please act quickly and let us know if you need any more help. Acting quickly, like you have, and doing all you can to reverse what has happened will most probably save you Axie. Keep us updated.

(on a side note ensure that once it's passed / removed you make the tank safe. NO stones or gravel of any kind. You'd be surprised how large a stone they can eat. If it's smaller than their head, it's edible.)

Last edited:
I think Daz has it covered. I just wanted to add that axies not only swallow pebbles smaller than their heads, but also ones that appear to be the same size as their heads. Many an axolotl has done this, and many a pet shop employee has said that the rocks/pebbles/gravel would be safe, and they've been wrong. Follow Daz's advice and PLEASE remove all the gravel from his tank.
I also wanted to say good job acting quickly and seeking advice. I'm sure your little guy will thank you for it. Keep us posted.

Hi there, and thank you so much for your advice! I have had him in the fridge in the container now for 6 days and he hasnt managed to regurgitate the stone yet - any more advice???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back