Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fluval 405 Filter?

hattori

Reaction score
I just aqquired two 405 Fluval filters. They filter up to 100 gallons.

I'm setting up a new 29 gallon tank for my chinese firebellies. Will one of the Fluval's be okay to filter it with? My firebellies shed at least once a week, so residue skin needs to be filtered away.

I have the ends covered with pantyhose so that no newt tails could be sucked up or caught.

Otherwise, think it'd be fine?

If so, any suggestions on how to put a top on the tank that's newt-escape proof?

Allistor

Reaction score
Here you have some help about how to keep a tank newt escape proof
Caudata Culture Articles - Escape

I think that filter is too strong for a newt tank, unless you keep the water flow at the minimum.
I have a Fluval 305 on my 30 gallon turtle tank and it gives a quite strong water movement that surely will not be appreciated by your chinese firebellies.

JWERNER

Reaction score
One Fluval would be overkill. Do they have valves to adjust the flow? I hope so cause you will need them.

Rather then using panty hose go out and get a sponge insert for a Aquaclear power filter. A easy way to adapt it is to get it soaked and toss it directly in the freezer. Once its frozen you can easily carve out a hole to fit the intake into.

The end resault would be something like this:

SyphonTube-SyphonTube-EheimIntake2w.jpg

I used a Magnum 350 already and it was great but they come with quick connect valves with flow adjusters on them. Canisters can be great for a water fall.

hattori

Reaction score
Actually one's a Fluval 205, I completely did not notice the size difference. I'm a genius, I know.

It's recommended for up to 40 gallons, so if I put it in a 29, do you think it'd be fine? Flow rate is a 100 gallons per hour...

I can try and stifle the flow rate with sponges like you said.

Crysta

Reaction score
Sounds like far too much. but yes blocking the flow with things such as sponges, maybe some plastic plants ect, should make it far more comfortable for newts.

JWERNER

Reaction score
The sponge has nothing to do with the flow rate. That is so that you have a good pre-filter and so that you dont get any animals stuck in the intake. Plus, its far superior to a stocking.

You could pack it pretty tight with media like filter floss to reduce the flow but IMO even 100 gph is to much for a animal that desires a way lower flow if any.

Search around. I personally dont like most Hagan products but I would guess they make the quick connect with flow adjusters.

hattori

Reaction score
The reason I'd like to use it is because I got it for free haha.

Upon further inspection it turns out it does have an adjustable flow rate.

I'll give it a go and if the newts don't like it, switch to something else.

Allistor

Reaction score
Fluval x05 series has flow regulator as you can see in that video:
YouTube - ‪Fluval 05 Series Setup Tutorial Part 2‬‎
Is the lever at 1:15.

I've tested mine 305 at the minimum flow and it gives a gentle movement to the water.
Make sure that the input and output is completely protected because newts may try to get inside through that filter parts.

Biscuit Oliva

Reaction score
A 405 is a monster on a little tank i mean i used to a 1 405 1 305 an eheim wet dry and a magnum along with a penguin on my gar/oscar tank i never cleaned it.i was doin major over kill but my fish lived for nearly 12 years. just recently dying from who knows what.it just passed away.now that sam tank is gonna hold axies.I think its fine cause u can adjust the flow to a very low setting and wih better filtration youll almost never have to worry about water quality.i would suggest pointing it up towards the op f the tank or against the side of the glass on the lowest setting

JWERNER

Reaction score
youll almost never have to worry about water quality

Filters in all reality ( excluding wet dry ) do nothing but mechanically filter the water, keep it circulated, and add space for the option of using chemical filtration as well. In some like wet dry filters they do perform well on bio filtration but your average HOB and canisters have poor bio filtration regardless of what the products manufacturer claims. The organisms performing bio filtration desire dark, highly oxygenated, slow moving water.

You will always have to worry about water quality. There is more reasons to performing water changes than nitrates and nitrites or even amonia.

Biscuit Oliva

Reaction score
yeah some of that is true thats why filters keep getting better and better the new fluval and eheim series does just that. It gives way more bio filtration than previous models thats why there so expensive and also why they have a flow meter and there are also other ways of accomplishing these types of task they have live bacteria in liquid form now i think its like 10 dollars or something.. I hear what your saying that theres more to it than nitrate and ammonia but in a home aquarium setup he's doing his best and i think he'll be fine with that filter on a low setting and get all the beneficial bacteria he needs for the animals.

Of course you still need proper filter maintenance. Remember there is no possible way for you to do an exact ecosystem in your home so just try your best. With the technology of today its making it easier and easier to keep the more difficult aquatic animals.

JWERNER

Reaction score
How can some of that be true?
Even when bacteria begin to colonize a HOB or Canister filter they do not zap the water as it passes by within that millisecond freeing it from dangerous nutrients. They could be a place to harbor said bacteria and dump it into the tank but the tanks decor itself does a good enough of a job.

I dont think you understand what slow moving means. This is the number one reason a sand filter works so great at bio filtration. They move at a snails pace. A sponge filter is slow and porous which makes those great as well.

All this new high tech filter stuff is garbage so is bacteria in a bottle. None of its needed in anyway and using that bacteria in a bottle could cause bad results in the end as the tanks gunna cycle to a certain bio load all at once.

With the technology of today its making it easier and easier to keep the more difficult aquatic animals.

Speaking on personal experience this is very untrue. I have raised Discus with a home made sponge filter costing under 5.00$ when some other people in my area couldnt do it with one of those new high tech 500.00$ Fluvals. I dont think I ever worried about bio in any of my filters ever. I just worried about mechanical and thats it. Never had issues unless it was my own error.

The key is not exactly filtration or technology but just water changes and patience for establishing a good biological filter in the tank more so than anything.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a grain of truth to Oli's post - products are improving. The bacterial supplements now include a much larger diversity of bacterial species, and filters are getting better. But Jay is right - someone who is patient and knows what they are doing with biofiltration will still do much better than someone trying to rely on fancy products.

Getting back to the original question... in addition to doing what you can to reduce the flow rate, also think about (1) dispersing the outflow, like with a spray bar or having the outflow tumble over rocks, and (2) providing barriers to the current within the tank, like have plenty of plants, piles of rocks, etc.

Firebellies are a pond-type newt, so they really don't like much of any current in their tank. Keep this in mind as you work out the setup.

JWERNER

Reaction score
There's a grain of truth to Oli's post - products are improving. The bacterial supplements now include a much larger diversity of bacterial species, and filters are getting better. But Jay is right - someone who is patient and knows what they are doing with biofiltration will still do much better than someone trying to rely on fancy products.

Getting back to the original question... in addition to doing what you can to reduce the flow rate, also think about (1) dispersing the outflow, like with a spray bar or having the outflow tumble over rocks, and (2) providing barriers to the current within the tank, like have plenty of plants, piles of rocks, etc.

Firebellies are a pond-type newt, so they really don't like much of any current in their tank. Keep this in mind as you work out the setup.

I cant see filters getting that much better unless its original design had a flaw. Honestly, I found out while keeping Cichlids that just about any filter can be turned into a good one. You just have to make sure it has ample surface space for catching detritus ( or your changing media constantly ) as well as minimal to ( idealy ) no water bypass.

But those bacteria in a bottle is snake oil if you ask me no matter what organisms are found in it. If you use to much the cycle will crash eventually cause the bio load is not enough to feed the organisms. On the other hand if yo use to little its gunna be overwhelmed by the nutrients in the waste. There is no predicting what amount should sufice since you will be keeping different types of animals and different numbers of animals from the other person using it as well as tank size and so forth playing a role.

If so, any suggestions on how to put a top on the tank that's newt-escape proof?

I overlooked this question but if your using a canister you can make small holes in a screen top just big enough to fit the hoses in. But make sure to make it a tight fit and I mean like no space between the hoses and screen at all.

Biscuit Oliva

Reaction score
Ok, I do understand what slow moving water is. All I'm saying is that technology is improving and there's nothing wrong withs buying a nice filter. I don't know your experience but I never had a problem with my filters, and I had both marine and fresh water for years. So to say they are garbage is very extreme. Prove to me that your home made sponge filter works better than a fluval or any other mechanical filter but use some one who knows how to take care of the animal first not some kid who walked into a pet store and did not know what he was doing in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

JWERNER

Reaction score
Ok, I do understand what slow moving water is. All I'm saying is that technology is improving and there's nothing wrong withs buying a nice filter. I don't know your experience but I never had a problem with my filters, and I had both marine and fresh water for years. So to say they are garbage is very extreme. Prove to me that your home made sponge filter works better than a fluval or any other mechanical filter but use some one who knows how to take care of the animal first not some kid who walked into a pet store and did not know what he was doing in the first place. 8 Hours Ago 10:42

There is nothing wrong with buying a nice filter but there is nothing wrong with someone devising one that is low tech yet comparable either.

I´m not saying all filters are garbage but I do beleive you have a point where it just can´t get any better unless it also cleans itself and changes its own media.

Think about the fact that you claim these filters never require maintenance. What do you do with the waste? A key part of mechanical filtration is to contain it so it can be removed. By not removing it manually after the mechanical media has expired and has been clogged you are defeating the purpose. You are also jeopardizing any bio filtration the filter might contain.

Now again, it does contain and culture it but there is no need for it cause it does not literally get a chance to do its job inside the filter itself. It works once in the aquarium and established on your substrate and decor however you have ample space for it to establish a healthy colony in the tank alone.

Now I´m not trying to be a jerk but if you are going to challenge my claims I will back them up. I also don´t feel the Op should be mislead into believing the more expensive of a filter you buy the easier it gets and you shouldn´t have to do any maintenance. I was not saying he was doing anything wrong at all either. I was giving him ideas on ways to make it work.

Prove to me that your home made sponge filter works better than a fluval or any other mechanical filter but use some one who knows how to take care of the animal first not some kid who walked into a pet store and did not know what he was doing in the first place.

This is good, it really is. How can I prove something as such over the internet? Well, if you do some research on the matter I might not have to. Maybe look into all the methods the best breeders of fish like Discus use ( I´ve done fresh water and I´ve done marine inverts as well. Nothing is as hard as Discus ). It´s kinda hard physicaly doing so over the internet anyway. Eventually you will find out that all a filter is in most cases is a spot to trap waste so you can remove it easier without the use of constant gravel vacing. And if needs be, a place to store chemical media.

Like I said, I don´t beleive all filters are trash according to the situation and I personaly swear by a Magnum 350 cause it don´t come with all the useless jive.:happy:

Biscuit Oliva

Reaction score
Ok again I said almost never have to worry about wAter quality the key word is almost I never said you didn't have to clean the filter it self I clearly said it requires good filter maintenance.There's nothing wrong with home made filters and discus fish are not the hardest by far it's either eels or gars and don't forget sting rays. You can prove it, set up 2 tanks one with your type of filter and 1with a brand named 1 and post the progress or make a video.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1