Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl with bloated belly

jmknapp21

Reaction score
Hi all,

We're new to this group as we recently acquired our axolotl. We raised him/her from an embryo, and now s/he's about 4 months old. Our axie acts totally normal, and has a healthy appetite, but his/her belly is really bloated down. I've attached a picture of what we're seeing (the camera focused on the background, but you get the idea). It is entirely possible that we may be over feeding him/her. We are feeding salmon pellets and bloodworms every 2-3 days. S/he does have some live plants in the aquarium, but there is no sign of nibbling on those.

Any help would be appreciated -- also, and help on sexing would be great too!

Thanks so much, and we look forward to learning from you all.
Jessie and Anna
Kittery, ME

Attachments

• DSCF1444.jpg
    DSCF1444.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 4,278

dragonlady

Reaction score
At first glance, I'd say that your little one has inhaled a few of those stones. Axolotls can swallow anything that's not bigger than their heads. They really need to be removed asap and replaced with sand or you can even just have a bare bottom.

I'd suggest that you fridge him/her to see if the stones will pass naturally. The procedure is here - FRIDGE Fridging will de-stress and may make the stones easier to pass. I'd offer some cut live nightcrawlers too while in the fridge, but don't be surprised if they are rejected.

I am a little concerned that these stones may be too large to pass on their own though so I would also try to find a local vet just in case they can't come out on their own. Anyone else feel the same or are my eyes deceiving me?

Crysta

Reaction score
Yep those stones have got to go. I'm in agreement with Shannon, i'd say you're axie has swallowed a couple of stones or so.

does it have problems swimming around/to the surface? any such things like that.

also from this picture i'd opt for female, do you have any other pictures? perhaps more detailed.

jmknapp21

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. The stones are on the way out, and we're looking for a better option. I read through the housing page on the axolotl sanctuary site, so I'm hoping to get a more appropriate setup soon.....the stones, however, will be gone today.

jmknapp21

Reaction score
I meant to ask this question as well. Assuming our little axolotl doesn't pass the stones in the fridge, what are the options once we take her to the vet? Do they do surgery on these guys?

Last edited:

jmknapp21

Reaction score
You all were right! My partner is a vet (though not exotics), so she took our axie in for an x-ray. We've located a vet in the area, and we're going to get these removed as soon as she gives us the word.

Thanks for all your help, and we'll post more pics when she's better!
Jessie and Anna

Attachments

• Tiniest_Trafton_232-20100809141008-original.jpeg
    Tiniest_Trafton_232-20100809141008-original.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 5,272

jmknapp21

Reaction score
Anna just called to tell me there is a stone in our axie's bowl! Do they possess the ability to vomit, or did she just pass that huge thing?

I cannot believe this. Hopefully the second one will follow soon!

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
That's an incredible X-ray photo! The poor little chap....

Good news about the first stone, and I hope the other one follows. :happy:

(@ Mac Myers, you mean my 'sports-themed' tank with baseball-substrate has to go! :rofl:)

jmknapp21

Reaction score
One more question -- should we keep feeding her or fasting her to try to encourage her to vomit up the second stone? She has a healthy appetite but we can make a convincing argument in our minds for either option.

Thanks a million -- you all have been very very helpful.

Jessie

dazkeirle

Reaction score
OMG that's the best xray yet, your axie was 1/3 stone!!

I bet he/she wasn't a great swimmer.

This should go in a sticky!

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Added a link to this post in my sig, I can't believe some people still think 1cm gravel is ok, this shows that even massive stones are possible.

Crysta

Reaction score
You want her to regurgitate the second stone.

IMO, fridging + no feeding it'll do more bad than good for her to pass something that big. But I'd wait for someone with more experience to comment on that.

fingers crossed for the second stone.

Morrison

Reaction score
Wow, that x-ray looks so incredible and those rocks are.... incredibly huge. I have an axolotl from my local pet store. I think I have him for a month now and he's still regurgitating little stones..... Anyway. I hope the second one comes out very very soon without any problems.

sek

Reaction score
Wow! Those are some big rocks your axie has swallowed. I hope everything works out.
My personal preferance for substrate is sand as I find bare-bottomed tanks make a lot of axies stressed because they have nothing to hold onto.

:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!