Face infection?

Maxolot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help!
My 2 year old axie developed a white patch on his face yesterday. Today it has spread and he is starting to act sick. I looked at other sick axilotl pictures but couldn't find anything that looks like this. I can't seem to upload a photo but will keep trying.
Thanks

Attachments

• Sick Axie - white face.jpg
    Sick Axie - white face.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 833
This looks like mouth rot to me. I would plan on fridging him right away after a salt bath. Have you added something new to your tank recently? Did your cycle crash or anything like that? Please update this with whether or not the salt bath helped. If someone has a better idea, please jump in.

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml
Fridging will slow the spread and de-stress him

In case you don't know - the salt bath - 2T per quart/liter of water, soak for 15 min. (max) every 12 hours until infection is gone

Certain bacteria are always present in the tank but for it to attack this aggressively, I would suspect some drastic change has taken place in the tank.

Last edited:
I have been feeding them very small feeder minnows for the last few weeks but nothing else new. I will do salt bath tonight.
Is there an easy conversion from grams and liters to tsp and oz. for the correct mixture for the salt solution?
Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I went back and added in the bath mix to my original post with the fridge procedure.

I can bet those minnows introduced a fungus. Feeder fish tend to carry a lot of diseases. Keep in mind that whatever you want to add to your tank with your axolotl (plant or animal) should be quarantined for at least 30 days before adding it.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

I have had him in the fridge for almost 3 weeks with daily salt baths. See attached photo. It looks like is face is slowly being eaten.
How long should I expect this to take to get better? If he gets worse and it is clear he isn't going to beat this is there any humane way to euthanize him? I hate the thought, but I hate watching him slowly die.

Attachments

• face fungus.jpg
    face fungus.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 3,044
Oh poor thing! The salt baths should have begun to show improvement within a week.

If someone else doesn't have an alternate solution, I'd suggest getting him seen by a vet immediately. It seems this may be bacterial and will need antibiotics. Best of luck.

As Shannon has stated, if he doesn't improve definitely take him to the vet.
Keep up the salt baths!

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Poor little bugger! I hope he gets better!

As shannon said any feeders should be quarrantined for 30 days minimum or things like this can happen, if you diddnt quarrantine them you can pretty much guarrantee that was the cause!

I shall keep my fingers crossed for your little guy!

Last edited:
I really don't believe that the salt baths are having any effect on this at all. I would suggest taking a look at the safe medications list and choosing something from there. You stated daily salt baths, were you only doing them once a day? Salt baths can be done twice a day - 12 hours apart.

However, since this has gone on for over 3 weeks, I would suggest something from the medication list provided at the bottom of this page - Axolotl Health. Melafix might be a possibility. I would also try to find a vet who can evaluate this condition in person.

I wish you all the absolute best.

I think I'd go with Furan 2 for treatment. It treats gram positive and gram negative bacteria plus fungus. It is a general cure all. It's available at fish stores and available through Foster and Smith.

The problem could have come from a wound that got infected or some problem that came from live feeder fish.

A vet is also a good idea but it is hard to find a qualified amphibian vet.

Thank you all for your advice. I tried everything I could but it was just too late. We buried him in the garden. The other axolotl never got sick and is doing well.
Thanks everyone. Now I will shop for a replacement (and not give them feeder fish anymore).

This is the first I'd seen this post, I had hoped I would be reading of his recover at the end. Poor little man :( I am so sorry he didn't make it.
I'm glad the other one is still fine and doing well. Good luck finding his "replacement"

Aww, poor thing. You did your best :(

This is really sad. I to thought by the end i would be reading about his recovery.

I've been looking on how to do a sath bath one of my babies have fungus on one of his legs and back.

I followed the sath bath on this post and after one bath its came of his back didn't keep him in there for 15 mins as hes only round 2 and an half months very young and my first fungus case (should i be phoning round for a vet?)

and i'm at the moment wondering if i should fridge him what with him being so young.

He was fine this morning, its weird how fast they can get poorly.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back