The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 13th August 2010   #1
Duncan
(Duncan13)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Duncan13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fire bellied newt larvae food

I recently switched foods for my FBN larvae that are approaching metamorphosis. They have been eating baby brine shrimp from birth till now, and now I've switched to frozen blood worms. One of them ate a lot of the blood worms, but the rest haven't even touched them. Should I switch back to brine shrimp? Or should I observe for a while longer and see what happens? I don't want them to starve to death, since their already looking alittle skinny.

Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010   #2
joost
(Joost)
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 1
Rep: Joost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Fire bellied newt larvae food

They can eat bloodworms very well, but you should choose for the living ones. I'm sure they will be eaten. Also you can give them live tubifexworms, chopped earthworms.

Old 14th August 2010   #3
Duncan
(Duncan13)

Nationality:

Thanks :) two of them are eating now, but the smallest one still isnt. Since they don't sell live blood worms in China where I live right now, will frozen ones work?

Old 14th August 2010   #4
Eva
(evut)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Some of my very small larvae (the oldest is about a month) have just eaten frozen bloodworms so it's definitely worth trying. Some people had success with mashed newt pellets.

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010   #5
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Mmmm...mashed newt pellets will fould the water very quickly and are unlikely to work. They are bit of a desperate choice.

Frozen bloodworms are ok, and as Joost said, earthworms are great. You could also try whiteworms or Daphnia.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010   #6
Duncan
(Duncan13)

Nationality:

One of them has exited the water now, but it still has gill nubs. It is mostly terrestrial. I've transfered it to a more suitable habitat, and it is doing fine. But it still hasn't eaten anything I offered yet? Should I be concerned?

Old 18th August 2010   #7
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Now that it has morphed it will need living food items. baby pill bugs, white worms, blackworms, and even chopped nightcrawlers will suffice. Morphing is stressful on the newts so it may take a few days for it to get its appetite back.

Old 18th August 2010   #8
Dana
(vistajpdf)

Nationality:
Rep: vistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.org

My new morphs seemed to take weeks to eat. It may be that they just didn't eat in front of me. However, I agree that the food definitely changed as they moved to a terrestrial life. I had no luck with white worms or blackworms once they morphed. I used springtails and flightless fruit flies. Do you have any hopes of getting these? Pinhead crickets have also been a staple in their diets.

Goof luck,
Dana

vistajpdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010   #9
Duncan
(Duncan13)

Nationality:

Two of them have metamorphosed now, but sadly, today I found the third one, dead under a small piece of aquarium foam. Do any of you guys no what could have caused the death of my newt?

Old 24th August 2010   #10
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

If it was fully morphed, I would guess drowning. It sounds crazy, but it's common. The morphs are bad swimmers. If it was still larval, or in-transition, then it's harder to explain, but the usual causes would apply:
Caudata Culture Articles - Why Larvae Die

Old 8th September 2010   #11
Duncan
(Duncan13)

Nationality:

yeah, I guess he/she drowned . He/she was very close to metamorphosis when he/she died. The rest of them are doing fine though, and their eating tiny tiny chopped earthworms. The juveniles are very small, only about 2.5 cm.

Old 4th November 2010   #12
Duncan
(Duncan13)

Nationality:

wow, its been a long time. The newts are growing fast but I have a problem now. A couple days ago, one of them stopped eating. I tried hand feeding it, but it wont eat anything. Nothing in its habitat has changed and the food has been the same. When I give it its food it just turns its head away. Please give me some tips on what might be wrong. Thanks in advance!

Old 6th November 2010   #13
bichogrilo

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 2
Rep: bichogrilo has given good advice and informationbichogrilo has given good advice and information

Fire bellies can really suck for around a year after morphing they tend to become very terrestrial and at the end of that time go back into the water and happily eat all the foods they originally ate, daphnia, whiteworms, mosquito, just hold out, and hope for the best, try things like aphids they worked for me just put a small branch in and they wre steadily eaten. mosqutos were great as they were eaten from the sides of the tank when they landed, fruitfly especially wingless were also good. Just dont over stock the food better to have some live things crawling but not a writhing tankload of bugs.

bichogrilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010   #14
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan13 View Post
wow, its been a long time. The newts are growing fast but I have a problem now. A couple days ago, one of them stopped eating. I tried hand feeding it, but it wont eat anything. Nothing in its habitat has changed and the food has been the same. When I give it its food it just turns its head away. Please give me some tips on what might be wrong. Thanks in advance!
How sure are you that this one was previously eating? And what was the type of food that it WAS eating? Getting new morphs to eat is tricky, so I'm wondering if this one has not eaten anything since it morphed (they can live for a couple of months like this).

Old 8th November 2010   #15
Duncan
(Duncan13)

Nationality:

I'm sure that it was eating because I hand feed my newts most of the time, and I've watched them eat, so I'm sure that they're eating. Since live food is very hard to get in Shanghai, where I live, I feed all the morphs chopped earthworms and they seem to like them.

Old 8th November 2010   #16
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:

Excellent. Has there been any change, such as new setup or a big change in the weather? I wouldn't worry about it too much, it will probably start eating again. If it is smaller than the others, isolating it might help.

Old 10th November 2010   #17
Duncan
(Duncan13)

Nationality:

Ok thanks. The one that stopped eating is one of the bigger ones.