Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

P. labiatus discoloration

chezr

Reaction score
I just bought a new paddle tail newt yesterday and his color seems a bit off. Instead of a dark brown/black body he's much lighter, and the color around his face is especially light. Could this be causes by stress/old age, or are some newts just much lighter than others? He also doesn't have much orange on his back, is it possible for that to develop in the future?

Thanks for the help.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
It could be a stressed out newt. Under fed or even sick. If it eats and its active then it should be fine. It could just naturally be lighter or it could be a lighter subspecies. Do you have a picture you can show everyone?

chezr

Reaction score
I don't have a camera with me, but it's possible that I can get one. I don't really think there's anything wrong with the newt, he has actually darkened up a bit since I brought him back. Do you know if the orange lines across the newt's back get deeper and brighter though? Right now he only has a few faint spots.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Your animals are likely P.granulosus, which is the most variable of the four Pachytriton. All color phases occur in this species, and the colors vary with age and size as well. Small specimens at the type locality look more like a rough-skinned Hypselotriton, complete with scarlet belly, than a smooth-skinned and faded adult torrent newt.

EifLadida

Reaction score
The Pachytriton I keep also has that problem. When I first got him, he was emaciated, and instead of the dark, rich, reddish-brown color, he was light tan. His belly and throat was covered in white blotches instead of the fiery red. And, also like you, he has darkened considerably as he has he regained his health. However, the blotches never went away, which I now believe may be scars from being kept for long periods of time with others of the same species while at the pet supplier. The pet store owner said he and his tank-mate would get along fine, but NOOO. There is a picture of him here, if there is any interest.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-salamander-help/70195-freaky-jawed-newt.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1