What should I do?

whyjune1st

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I used to have my 30 gallon aquarium that houses my 3 axies in the basement of where I used to live. Now I just recently moved into a new apartment that doesnt have a basement and the water in my tank is staying around 75-80 degrees F. I have put my axies in the fridge for the time being until I can figure something out. The problem is I cant get any of them to eat while they are in their cold water. Is there anyway to cool a 30 gallon aquarium? I know bottles for small aquariums but my 30 gallon will be tough with that method. Should I keep them in the fridge until fall? If so how do i get them to feed? Please let me know asap. I'm worried about them. Thanks

Hi,

How big are your axies? Adults can get by just fine in the fridge without eating at all for as long as 2-3 months, believe it or not. It's pretty scary for us, but they do well.

Some cooling methods can be found here: Cooling I use standard house fans on my tanks - aiming the blades so they blow across the water's surface (I have 2 55s and a 30), don't aim directly down. My temps stay right around 66 F (18-19 C) with this method and central a/c even when the heat index climbs over 100 F (39 C) outside! If you have a hood, take it off - that will help. Using an airstone will help agitate the surface and encourage evaporation - this helps to cool the tank as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back