Vietnamese montain stream tank

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
This is my newest project. The animals are larval Paramesotriton larvae. I tried to give the best look to the tank and at same time care for the animals health. So far so good, they are thriving nicely with 0 losses. Plenty of live food is offered (but the filter has to stop evidently) Flow is 200l/h and the tank has 46l.
The tank:

_DSC0026.jpg

Getting out from the darkness of the cages:D
gg19.jpg

Some larvae walking around:
_DSC0029.jpg

Time to feed:
_DSC0031.jpg

Hope you like it,
Jorge

Looking very good. It's great you didn't have any loses. How are you going to do it before meatmorphosing? Aren't you scared of drowned morphes?

Amazing photos Jorge! Simple and functional as always you do on your setups. Those stones are kinda different from those volcanic rocks found in Azores. The surface is softer and has beaked corners at the ends. How did you put those mosquito larvae on the ground? It usually is at the bottom of the water.

Congratulations Jorge;)

Paramesotriton larvae are just gorgeous. The second picture is particularly nice.
The tank looks nice, but it´s not very stream like, is it?
I too would be worried about the larvae drowning, unless you plan on removing them when they show signs of being near metamorphosis.
By the way, turning the filter off is not a good idea, i understand why you do it but it negates the purpose of a filter.

So it was with this that was busy, or so I am pleased to employ your time well! lol

cheers

Looking very good. It's great you didn't have any loses. How are you going to do it before meatmorphosing? Aren't you scared of drowned morphes?
Thanks Joost. I did not have any loses since i started using this method of stream type aquarium. Me, as almost every caudate breeders in here, use simple water tubs for larvae, but these aren't just any random type of larvae. This are extremely hard to handle, by far the most challenging species. You fail one partial water change and its 1 to 5 deaths... Pretty sad. I tried a lot of stuff and this is working pretty nicely like it imitates almost 100% its natural environment.
About drowned morphs... I do not care at all cause I watch them everyday and when i see a buddy with low tail fin and low gill buds then its time to catch him and leave it in another place.;)

Amazing photos Jorge! Simple and functional as always you do on your setups. Those stones are kinda different from those volcanic rocks found in Azores. The surface is softer and has beaked corners at the ends. How did you put those mosquito larvae on the ground? It usually is at the bottom of the water.

Congratulations Jorge;)
Azores and Madeira are born form hot spots with magma coming from inner mantle, pure ultra basic rocks with SiO4 in very low levels and Fe and Mg in high levels. They are really not easy to brake. Your local geology might change a little bit since azores had efusive explosive and mixed eruptions so magma may be a little more acid with SiO4 levels raising a little bit more. Don´t forget of the volcano ashes that after really compressed result in fine granular rock. Those are also typical in some spots around here.

Paramesotriton larvae are just gorgeous. The second picture is particularly nice.
The tank looks nice, but it´s not very stream like, is it?
I too would be worried about the larvae drowning, unless you plan on removing them when they show signs of being near metamorphosis.
By the way, turning the filter off is not a good idea, i understand why you do it but it negates the purpose of a filter.

Thanks and yes, the tank is really stream type as everybody can see. After all it is not a dense forest with green waters and no filter, Its crystalline water, low plant tank with many rocks, fine bright sand, and off course, with nice current.:happy:
About the filter being shut down for 10min, I don't see any problems with that. What has to be done, has to be done after all.

So it was with this that was busy, or so I am pleased to employ your time well! lol

cheers
No this was the work of only one day. I had this setup done at one year or more. Just filtered the water, add new parcel, add some componets from tetra, take plants out and voilà.

Some fresh pics took today:

guangxie7.jpg

guangxie6.jpg

guangxie5.jpg

guangxie4.jpg

guangxie.jpg

guangxie2.jpg

guangxie3.jpg

Your tank and larvae look wonderful! Can't wait to see what they turn out like.

Great looking larvae! I know I've expressed my likings toward Paramesotriton and Laotriton larvae before to other members. After seeing your little guys, I feel more valid towards favoring larvae from these 2 species. I wonder how long they'll stay larvae before morphing out. Do they undergo an eft stage?

Nice tank, bud!
I like the set up and the contrast of the fine whitisch gravel with the dark stones!
Those para´s , but cynops and some other asian newts to, have these amazing dark, impressively gilled larvae! You are lucky to have some, i hope they do well for you!

Your tank and larvae look wonderful! Can't wait to see what they turn out like.
Thanks. Me too.:rolleyes:

Great looking larvae! I know I've expressed my likings toward Paramesotriton and Laotriton larvae before to other members. After seeing your little guys, I feel more valid towards favoring larvae from these 2 species. I wonder how long they'll stay larvae before morphing out. Do they undergo an eft stage?
Glad to hear it. They surely are not quite common and have some magical touch that makes them so desirable.
They will stay muuuch longer in water than many other salamandridae newt species.
I did not understood your question. In my eyes a true eft stage is for Notos. These behave like triturus, cynops and company in therms of juvenile life.

Nice tank, bud!
I like the set up and the contrast of the fine whitisch gravel with the dark stones!
Those para´s , but cynops and some other asian newts to, have these amazing dark, impressively gilled larvae! You are lucky to have some, i hope they do well for you!
Thanks for the compliments bud! They will do for sure. :rolleyes:

Some even more fresh pics:

ggx2.jpg

ggx3.jpg

ggx4.jpg

ggx5.jpg

ggx7.jpg

ggx8.jpg

ggx9.jpg

ggx10.jpg

ggx11.jpg

ggx12.jpg

ggx13.jpg

ggx17.jpg

And the feeding related:

ggx14.jpg

ggx15.jpg

ggx16.jpg

They are abosolutely gorgeous Jorge! I love thier dark backgrounds and thier bright yellow gills. Are those masquito larvae? What if they make it and reproduce using you as a host! lmao. What species are they? Keep up the good work my friend!

I really like what you did with the tank, and I think I'll do the same thing with my Rough skined newts in my 29 gal tank. I'll try to post pics once I finish and I'd be grateful for your opinion :D

amazing pics. What kind of camera/lens do you have?

Paramesotriton larvae look so fashionable in their sleek black outfits - and those yellow gill tips - swoooon!

I wonder why the larvae have evolved this dark color - are the stream beds in their natural habitat equally dark?

Molch, Paramesotriton genus is strongly atached to both Laotriton and Pachytriton. And thse 3 genera descend from a common ancestor who was intimaly connected with Cynops. Now both cynops, paramesotriton, laotriton and maybe even some of the pachytriton larvae are in fact black. I think is rather something evolutive since their all base colour is solid black. In streams these animals live in cracks on the rocks or/and under piles of rocky material so they occupy mostly shaded environments. When they adventure out by night everything is dark so... About the gills and stuff, well thats all evolution... mutation... Almost all paramesotriton larvae are like this, but some i dont remember witch is completely different, and Laotriton with was once before Paramesotriton is totally black like Cynops orientalis larvae for an instance (at least in appearance)

This topic diserves an update... Comming soon new pictures and info.

I finished making the tank like I said I would, and I'm gonna post some pics when the water is less cloudy :D also I'll post them in a different thread/forem or what ever the right word is :p

I finished making the tank like I said I would, and I'm gonna post some pics when the water is less cloudy :D also I'll post them in a different thread/forem or what ever the right word is :p

Sorry I haven't posted. Can't find my camera >.<

Fantastic pictures and lovely looking larvae :D

Well I promised some updates so here they finally are!

_MG_5591.jpg

_MG_5609.jpg

First one's a juvenile about 1month on land. Finally gets to start feeding :) I have to say Im quite surprised be the ability of these animals to feed. Always thought Paramesotriton were like any tiny morph and would be quite tricky to get feeding. Truth is it already got to eat super tiny earthworms, fruit flies and even frozen mosquito larvae!!!
Second pic's a just emerged individual. Still have long way till can finally feed. Both animals have nearly 5cm not bad as morphing size.
One thing I noted is these juvies do really good in very moisten conditions trully controversial compared to many other species of juvenile newts.

Lovely morphs, Eljorjo. I found with Paramesotriton aff. fuzhongensis that morphs did well when they had a damp, leaflitter tank as long as they had some cork stacks to get drier in.

Good luck with them and keep us updated!

C

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back