Weird lumps and bumps

Manifest

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Seona
I was just curious, has anyone else seen these weird things in their axolotls? We recently gave our girl a salt bath because her gill filaments were getting shorter and shorter every day and we thought maybe there was a bacteria or something eating at them very, very slowly. The gills seem to be on the mend again now, but I've been keeping an eye on a lesion on her side for the past couple of months, and just in the last couple of weeks noticed a new lesion on her tail. The salt bath made no difference to either of these weird things.

Jun4R.jpg

Side lesion, just behind her foreleg, about a third down the length of her body. It's about 2cm long, 1 cm wide and kind of wiggly. I can't see anything that would indicate a parasite in the area. It looks like a scar, but it's definitely growing, you can't see it as obviously in earlier photos.

QNHDX.jpg

Tail lesion, appears as a filmy white blister on the top edge of her tail. Nothing appears on the opposite side, other than a slight indentation.

Aside from that, she's pretty happy, eating well and enjoying her new green algae-free tank. The lesions don't seem to bother her, I don't see her scratching or anything. The gill issue, as well as the lesion on her tail I noticed occurred after we had that annoying green-water problem that we've managed to clear up through more plants and daily water changes.

It's a mystery!

Have you thought about taking her to the vet? Is your tank cycled? What temperature is your tank? Has your axolotl recently had any feeder fish?

Hi Neo :)

To answer your questions: No, Yes (ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 5ppm), 18 degrees Celsius constant and No :) She's had the bumps on her side since we got her, but it's slowly getting bigger.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back