The second life of jar

Alex Tsukanov

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Hi all!
I have decided to breathe new life into jars (from baby's food) using them in the construction of my new aquaterrarium.

I glued round dozen of jars on the rectangular glass.
1_4.jpg

I have using the high jars in the odd rows and the low jars in the even rows.
2_7.jpg

OK, the glue has joining the glass and jars firmly!
3_4.jpg

Just the time to submerge the construction in water.
The construction is floating: the buoyancy force is my staunch ally!
4_2.jpg

I placed a multitude of rounded stones (6-7 centimeters in diameter) between the jars' space. Then I put 9 large plane stones above the jars.
5_2.jpg

6_2.jpg

I put a big grey-lilac stone in front of the first row of jars. The big stone will hide the jars from eyes of guests and will help to newts to climb out water to the land part.
Draw attention: between the frontal glass of aquarium and the first row of upper plane stones has a place a gap (3-4 centimeters).
7.jpg

The gap will contain the biofilter of flowing type. The overall dimensions are 75x3x18 centimeters.
8_2.jpg

9_2.jpg

One lower corner of biofilter has a chink for the discharge of water.
10_1.jpg

I chose broken granite as the stuff for biofilter.
11_1.jpg

12_3.jpg

The broken granite stones can wound the newts, so for the avoidance of wounding I decided to cover the biofilter by glass plates with silicone juts.
13.jpg

14.jpg

The final construction of biofilter. The biofilter in the entrance part has filter wool.
15.jpg

16.jpg

All my 25 newt's aquariums have the system of air-lift.
kompressory.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

It's high time to show the final build of aquaterrarium! In the right part of aquaterrarium you can see the tube of air-lift which supplies with water in the biofilter.
20.jpg

The broken granite stones hide frontal jars and harmonize with the big plane stones of aquaterrarium.
22.jpg

Most of my 9 Tylototriton kweichowensis crawl in the land part.
23.jpg

But some of them prefer underwater live
24.jpg

And even arboreal mode of life!
26.jpg

27.jpg

Awsome setup i havent ever owned newts but im glad to take advice from YOU lol that tank really looks lovely lol

I really like the tank setup! I always like to see different setups, definitely a great idea and great use of unused materials.

Great looking newts btw! Do you keep them in this setup year round?

Thanks for sharing!

Mitch

Awsome- every thing said in that 1 word

Tho im not sure of the pourpouse of the jars? could you possibly explain that

I assumed they were there to lighten the load of the rock pile, so that it didn't stress (and break) the bottom pane of glass in the tank. Was I right?

That is a brilliant design. I would never have thought to try that!

The gravel at the front is brilliant! Did you leave the bottom open a little to help water circulate and waste drain out?

WOW Amazing and very creative!

Those are some nice looking Tylototriton kweichowensis!

That is a good idea. I have often wondered how to get a good slope for the land without putting too much pressure on the tank with too many rocks.

Did you make those aquariums yourself? The rimlessness makes them look really clean.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back