Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hillo! New to forum and worried :o(

twiglet9

Reaction score
Hoping there will be someone who can offer me some advice. The female of my two 12 month old axolotls is refusing food (even her favourite, prawns!). The stones in the tank are larger than marbles, so Sybil can't have swallowed one. However, her mouth is slightly open and her tail's in the stress position.

Yesterday she took a sliver of prawn, but then spat it out. She's very listless and not swimming about her tank as usual. I've had the water tested and it's fine. Temperature is 20 degrees. Her friend, Mauel, is perfectly happy and munching on anything as usual.

I've read about fridging axies, but anxious.

Any help welcomed

K

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Would you be able to post a photo of Sybil and her tank ? If the marble is a regular sized marble, then it is possible for her to accidentally try to eat it. ..I wonder if she has it in her mouth?

Crysta

Reaction score
You'd be surprised of the size of stone axolotls can eat.
Click Me

Ignore the size of their mouth, anything as big as or smaller than the HEAD will fit in their mouth.
Fridging solves a lot of stress related problems. More Clicking

If the stones are as big as, smaller than your axie's head, it's likely one has been swallowed, but a picture of you enclosure, axolotl, and both would be very helpful.

twiglet9

Reaction score
Right ho! Will get camera and try to upload some pictures.

Thank you

K

twiglet9

Reaction score
Have put a couple of pics up. Hope they're visible - not quite the techno wizard I'm afraid. Sybil does not love the camera, nor does she share Ms Moss' cheekbones, but I've tried my best :eek:(

Crysta

Reaction score
It does look like a few of those stones are small enough to be eaten, No-one can know for sure with an x-ray or actually seeing it in there.
However, her mouth is slightly open and her tail's in the stress position.
That does sound like an axie trying to eat something too big for it though, and If it's not that i'm at a slight loss, so hopefully someone else may know for sure.

sek

Reaction score
It does sound like she has swallowed something she doesn't usually swallow. The photos will help. :)

Best of luck

twiglet9

Reaction score
Have been brave and put Sybil in the fridge. Manuel is sulking and wondering where she's gone. Fingers crossed that whatever she's swallowed comes out :eek:(

Thanks for your help

K

twiglet9

Reaction score
Saw lovely vet today. Sybil has an odoema in her lower jaw. She's in 'hospital' til Monday having a mixture of injected and oral antibiotics. Having a word with the man upstairs.

xkx

rick

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I hope all goes well, keep us updated.

Crysta

Reaction score
that would make sense, the swelling would make it far more difficult to eat than usual.
please keep us updated =]
all the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1