Filter question and cycling question....

malcorn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I am new to the world of axolotls. I don't even have mine yet, still trying to get the tank squared away. I have read so much on tank set-ups, filters, and cycling but I still have qestions. I want to make absolutely sure that my tank is safe before I purchase my axies.

I have a 20 gallon long aquarium. Last Tuesday (the 24th) I filled it with about 15 gallons of tap water and let it sit. Friday (the 27th) I added rinsed Childrens play sand. Saturday (the 28th) I took a water sample in to my local aquarium store to have it tested. My ammonia levels were awful!!! I assumed this was due to my tank cycling and wasn't really sure what to do next. I read that it takes 4-6 weeks so I thought maybe I would just wait it out. I did buy an API water sample kit to have at home. Yesterday (the 31st) I tested my water again, still I hadn't done anything to it. My ph was a little high, ammonia was even higher, the nitrites were okay, and the nitrates were pretty high. So, I did a 50% water change. This time I used the same tap water but added a dechlorinator to it. I will check the levels again in a couple of days.

I also went out and bought a new filter. A Top Fin Power Filter 20. It was only one of two that the store had that had an adjustable flow rate. I will put this in my tank tonight if I get positive feedback from you all on here. Maybe I didn't buy the right filter or there is one better, any advice is appreciated.

In my tank I have two java moss plants and a driftwood piece that I bought at the aquarium store. I also added some rosy minnows last Saturday. There are only four or five out of 12 that have survived my high levels of ammonia.

I am hoping to get things taken care of and I'd really like to make the trip to purchase my axies on Sept. 12th. If my ammonia is still too high then of course I won't but i'm hoping it will hae settled down by then.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to make sure everything is perfect for these amazing little creatures!!!

If you keep up the water changes and test water periodically it should eventually complete it's cycle. It seems to have started if you have nitrite and nitrate showing in the water. This has got to be the worst part of owning axolotls because you have the tank sitting ready but you still need to wait haha I hated it

Yes, the set up is no fun.

The nitrate levels were very high, not sure why. I did my water change last night, about 50%. When should I do my next one? Tonight? Tomorrow night? And should it be 20%?

Thanks!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back