When can i tell what colour baby axolotl will be?

Others might tell you differently but from my experience my babies didn't become wildtype until half a year after they're born. They started off as what I thought were golden albinos but boom! They started getting spotty and boom! Wildtypes! Most of them at least.

It all depends on the growth rates of each axie. As Charlie stated, colour can certainly change. ;)

Some are easy to predict. Post some pics.
I know i DEFINATELY have wild, gold albino and white albinos. I have some melanoid that i have no clue how they will turn out.

Norcinu...if you thought yours were golden what were there eyes like? I think from your description yours are actually coppers. I'm gonna see if i can see any of your pics.

Mel

Some are easy to predict. Post some pics.
I know i DEFINATELY have wild, gold albino and white albinos. I have some melanoid that i have no clue how they will turn out.

Norcinu...if you thought yours were golden what were there eyes like? I think from your description yours are actually coppers. I'm gonna see if i can see any of your pics.

Mel
Here is a pic :) x

Attachments

• 46964_430680719630_818714630_4830478_2331582_n.jpg
    46964_430680719630_818714630_4830478_2331582_n.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,850
Looks like a melanoid to me. Does it have a shiney ring round its eye?
It could go either way that one, I have a few that look like that. I think - but dont quote me on it- that it will get darker as it gets bigger. I dont think it will be a full black melanoid though.

Mel

Others might tell you differently but from my experience my babies didn't become wildtype until half a year after they're born. They started off as what I thought were golden albinos but boom! They started getting spotty and boom! Wildtypes! Most of them at least.

I'm almost certain yours are coppers. Do they have dark eyes?

Mel

I'm almost certain yours are coppers. Do they have dark eyes?

Mel

Yes the ones with dark eyes turned into coppers (is that right?) and the lighter eyed ones stayed as golden albinos.

I'm not very experienced :blush:

Yes the ones with dark eyes turned into coppers (is that right?) and the lighter eyed ones stayed as golden albinos.

I'm not very experienced :blush:

Not turned into coppers but were coppers and their colour developed.
The albinos will have no pigment (as they are abino)

Dark eyes are a sure sign that they are not albino.

Hope this helps a little

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back