Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Limp Tail

daniellog

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I came home yesterday to fine one of my axies (Boba) with an odd tail. Basically it wasn't straight but rather flopped to one side. I also noticed he had his back legs up quite a bit so maybe he has costipation? Also when I was trying to get him out of the tank I noticed a small red patch on his belly. I put him in the fridge overnight with some food (couple of pellets) which he didn't eat and he didn't pass anything. I put him back in the tank this morning with his pals, and he seemed to be more active and looking a bit better with his tail.

I did a water change in the tank, and I keep them on sand so I can't see impactation being an issue, unless he ate a bit of loose drift wood.

Any help would be most appriciated!

Attachments

• DSCF1636.jpg
    DSCF1636.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 458

lea

Reaction score
hi danI hope your boba gets better soon. Maybe his/her tank mates?? Sorry I'm not much help. Please let us know how he/she goes.lea

daniellog

Reaction score
They get on actully pretty well, when I moved him out the other two looked a bit lost without him. Then when I put him back in they were all swiming together straigh away. I did bring them up from babies together tho so I think they are just used to eachother.

melfly

Reaction score
Is there no sign of fungus or anything?

I'm glad he's feeling a bit better :)

Mel

lea

Reaction score
that is so sweet. i'm sure he will be ok, he is in great hands.

daniellog

Reaction score
I had a look today and couldn't see any, I saw some very tiny white patches but nothing huge. Whats worrying me is the red patch on his belly, I remember nathans (my flat mate) having a similar thing before he died, but he did have him with pebbles.

daniellog

Reaction score
I'm at work at the mo, but he hadn't this morning and he's been in the fridge all night.

melfly

Reaction score
I'm just worried that there may be food going bad inside him.
Might be worth putting back in the fridge tonight to monitor it.

Mel

daniellog

Reaction score
I'll see how he is tonight, I'll give him some blood worms, if he doesn't eat them I will. He looks a bit bloated too, maybe he has eaten a few too many pellets? I fed them quite a bit because I had to leave them for a day.

MereB

Reaction score
I do hope he's ok, good luck when you get home.

Edit...
Is his belly usually that big?
Could be he's just well fed and it's all normal for him.

Last edited:

daniellog

Reaction score
I had to go away from home and leave them for a day, so before i went i gave them quite a few pellets to fatten them up a bit, maybe thats why.

daniellog

Reaction score
Ok update, just fed them, boba didn't eat anything and he's just sat under the drift wood gulping an awful lot. What do I do?

daniellog

Reaction score
Another update, after speaking to Mel I decided to put him in the fridge. Checked on him this morning and there was quite a bit of white stuff that he has passes, looks like fungus or something. I'll take a picture when I get home tonight but i have just left him in the fridge for now.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely have him in the fridge, however passing white stuff, plus the red patch makes me wonder if this is a bacterial infection. Are you sure he is male ? and what sex is the tank mate ?.

daniellog

Reaction score
I'm not sure, they are still not that old really, his backend is swollen up though. Vet is out of the question really, no one here will know what to do and I really don't have the money.

Last edited:

MereB

Reaction score
Oh no I hope he pulls through this one.

I've been searching off and on all day for what could be causing it (there really isn't much out there about axolotl diseases)
this is the only reference I could find to red patches on any part of axies from axolotl.org

Aeromonas hydrophila, one of the "red leg" bacteria, is one the most common diseases that axolotls can suffer. It is septicemic, i.e. it can be widespread in the body because it is carried by the blood. Common symptoms are red patches on the limbs and parts of the body. Other bacteria such as Proteus, Pseudomonas, Acinetobacter, Mima, and Alcaligenes, have been found to affect axolotls. Salmonella is also known in axolotls and it is almost impossible to eliminate from effected animals as it becomes resident in the digestive tract. Treatment for most bacterial problems is best left to an expert, but the hobbyist has some means at his or her disposal. Obviously, changing the water is a good idea, but 100% Holtfreter's solution can also help to reduce bacterial numbers in the water and to aid osmo-regulation in effected animals. Antibiotics can be used in axolotls and the the most reliable form of antibiotic delivery is by injection, but this should usually be left to an expert.

It says ONE of the "Red leg" bacteria so maybe there are others as well but it seems it's a vet deal :(
Hoping it's not that

daniellog

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I think mostly that he is constipated, or that's only what I can put it down to looking at the sick pictures. I'll see what his condition is when i get back, I'll probably put him in the tank again and see how he is.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1