Illness/Sickness: What is going on with cookie

lea

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Leanne
hi everyone
I got up this morning and checked on my axies and cookie looks like she is shredding. I tested their water and everything is fine...there is no ammonia, no nitrite and a little bit nitrate. The water temp is 16oC. They are 1mm gravel. They are both eating fine. Their diet is blood worms, earthworm(cookie) and pellets. She gets fed everyday because she is 15cm. Do you think she needs some tea baths? What type tea do I need to get?
Abby is fine with no issues.
Any advice is appreciated I have never deal with this sort of stuff before.
Many thanks
lea

Attachments

• DSCF1218.jpg
    DSCF1218.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF1220.jpg
    DSCF1220.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCF1219.jpg
    DSCF1219.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 195
Hi Lea,

Looks like Cookie does have some sort of skin issue. It's hard to tell exactly what you have going on there. The coating around her gills - does it look sort of gooey? Maybe like glue? If it does, I'd suggest a salt bath over a tea bath.

If it does not look like glue (hope you get what I'm trying to describe), if it looks like a layer of skin flaking off, I would say that it's more like a shed. Based on Cookie's background, this would not be out of the question as she could have been in very poor water conditions before you got her. If this is the case, then yes, I would suggest a nice tea bath. The method for this can be found midway down this page - CC Illness Pt. 2

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

thanks. She looks a bit better now but i will keep a close eye on her. What sort of tea do I use??

as Daniel in the link Shannon gave you described: normal black tea without any additional ingredients. ;)

Good luck!

ok thanks tina......i asked the question before i read the link.
lea

I have recently noticed early stages of similar on my Axy Abraham, being a new owner im extremely vigilant in everything about them. I havent any photos to post as yet but his tank and feeding conditions and look 100% replicates Abraham.
I have only had him 4 weeks this weekend and unsure of his water conditions prior to this.
I was searching through this site when I came across your post Lea.
Did you have any success with the tea baths? How long did you leave cookie in there for and how long did you keep the baths up?
Look forward to hearing how it all went.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back