Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help, my axolotl is swelling!

lindsnkirb

Reaction score
My Female axy is suffering severe swelling around her face, most of the swelling is located around the lower jaw. I hope I did the right thing, but i opened her mouth to see if something was stuck... but there was nothing. She seems lethargic although readily accepting food!?! She is also (on occasions) gasping for air on top of the water.
Any ideas as to why my axy is sick???

thanks'
:Lindsay & Kirby

sek

Reaction score
Hi Lindsay,

Do you have any photos of her? What are the water parameters of your tank (nitrates, nitrites and ammonia)? Also, what substrate do you have?

lindsnkirb

Reaction score
hi,
i havent tested the water yet, and i havent gotten any photos yet. The subtrate is inch round pebbles.

esoteric

Reaction score
I'm sorry that I can't help with the swollen head thing, it's nothing I've come across before. Pictures might help people to determine what's going on. If I were you I'd beg borrow or steal a camera. I'd also put her in a 3 litre tupperware type sandwich box and pop her in the fridge until you get better advice. (see fridging)

Regarding the pebbles, if any of them are smaller than her head they need to be removed. (see Shamrock's story)

sek

Reaction score
Definitely fridge her, it will de-stress her and give her immune system a boost.

callina

Reaction score
I would suggest to take him to a vet for a check-up. It sounds as it could be a bacterial stomatitis or a thyroid problem.

Tina

lindsnkirb

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise, I have been in contact with an exotics vet. I have her in the fridge now and im giving daily injections of an antibiotic. She is starting to look better already :)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.:happy: Would you know what the antibiotic is? What did the vet think was the problem ?

lindsnkirb

Reaction score
he wasnt sure as i only spoke with him via email but it may be a thyroid problem or tumor.???? Im sure its an infection of some kind, I did a needle aspirate at home but it didnt really give me anything to go off, so i decided to get baytril (antibiotic) and do injections at home. Im hoping it will work :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1