Illness/Sickness: Mouth rot then fridged now Swollen throat

lucy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I know there are similar posts but I cant seem to find them. My axie had a sore mouth, red with white edges. I fridged her with daily salt baths and h20 changes every night and her mouth was improvimg. It then plateaued without getting any better. Now her throat is very swollen. Shes stayed in fridge for three weeks now all up. Not eating - but I blame the cold for that. Any help is appreciated :)

Could you post some pictures ?
I suspect a visit to your vet will be necessary how ever.

Id love to but there arent any photos of the initial mouth symptoms. I'll take some of her how she is now and post them asap.

It sounds like a bacterial stomatitis infection, and it may have lead to her throat which isn't the best sign. Is there a vet you can take her to?

I still have to find one. I have spoken to numerous breeders etc and they said it looked like the infection was gone before the healing stopped.
she's still having salt baths. How often do you think they should be?
And would melafix help?
Would it be bad to take her out of the fridge for a day to see if she can eat ok?
Could the swelling be stress related?
The axie she was with before the sore mouth is fine, and has large healthy gills. The sick girl is over a year old but never developed full open gills, though she is large and healthy in all other ways.
Thankyou for your concerns.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back