Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: A. andersoni - newly acquired

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi all,

As some of you know, I have been anxiously anticipating the acquisition of two beautiful Michael Shrom A. Andersoni. Well the day has finally come! I attended the Timonium, MD show (pics in an album on my profile if you'd like to "visit" the show) and although I had only requested two, a third insisted on coming home with me too and I agreed. :D

They are not named yet, but I have been told to expect the original two to be male and female! :eek: I am leaning towards the Gods of Olympus for inspiration (Zeus, Hera, Ares or Aphrodite - depending on sex). However, feel free to make other recommendations!

So here they are!

Last edited:

sek

Reaction score
Anubis is always a cool name... :)
I love Andersoni's... He's so beautiful.

Skilly

Reaction score
Gorgeous animals! How lucky are you!?
I like the Titan god, Helios- god of the sun and guardian of oaths. Plus it sounds cool. :D

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The 2nd one is incredible. I've always been an Apollo fan...but Hephaestus definitely sounds like an Axolotl/Andersoni name.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Thank you, Neo! Yes, I agree, Anubis is a cool name. That's the name of my GFP melanoid. Thought since he was so dark, it suited him! :D

Thanks, Ed!!

Hi Grace! I know, right? Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep that one in mind!

Hey Eric! The second one is actually the one I picked out at the show, I thought so too! :D Yes! I like Apollo too! Maybe I could go Roman instead of Greek!

Thank you, everyone!

JWERNER

Reaction score
Awesome!

I just posted two pics of the one I picked up from him on Saturday at MARS.

I wonder where its at.

I wasn't even sure what category to place it under.

Last edited:

sek

Reaction score
I wish NZ had Andersoni's! Such beautiful creatures...

dragonlady

Reaction score
@Jay, I asked where to post and was told that either place (here or where you posted under mole salamanders) would be fine.

melfly

Reaction score
Shannon they are beautiful! Congratulations!
I look forward to seeing a lot of pics of them :love:

Does anyone know if we have andersonis over here in the uk??

I want one :D:D

Mel

dazkeirle

Reaction score
I keep resisting asking for more information on Andersoni's as I'm sure across these forums all the content must be there, however it isn't all in one place and is hard to research.

Am I right in saying they are like Axolotls however are a separate Salamander Larvae with Neotenic genetics and so are similar in appearance (except colouring) but are actually a different species?

I read they are more likely to morph?

Are they available in the UK?

melfly

Reaction score
(sorry for the hijack Shannon)
From what i've read Daz you are correct.

And yes they are more likely to morph.

I also wondered if we had them here. I want one. I tried an internet search but came up with nothing.

Mel

Hayden

Reaction score
So. Much. CUTE!
I guess I'll have to trade you some Andersoni eggs for some eggs from Axolotltopia. :D

dragonlady

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I was wondering if you had them in the UK too, Mel! I certainly hope so!

@Hannah, yes, if I end up with eggs, you will DEFINITELY be getting eggs if I have to hand carry them to your doorstep!! ;)

Yes, I have read that they are more sensitive to water quality than the axolotls so best believe I am staying on top of things. Michael has assured me things should go along fine though so I am holding him to that! ;)

On a sad note,I regrettably report that the lightest one, pic #2, passed a few days ago. Evidently, being the smallest, he succumbed to stress from the long ride home as there were no outwardly signs of anything being wrong, I just found him, already gone...

...I am happy to say that the other two are doing very well and will be more than happy to post many, many updates just as long as Mel keeps us up to date about Dogga ;) :D...

Spartacus

Reaction score
First time I've seen andersoni's, just gorgeous! Ooh I wish they were available here.
If they are male and female, they could always be Artemis and Apollo, the brother and sister gods.
The first picture is my favourite :) so so pretty.
Sorry to hear about your loss too

JWERNER

Reaction score
On a sad note,I regrettably report that the lightest one, pic #2, passed a few days ago. Evidently, being the smallest, he succumbed to stress from the long ride home as there were no outwardly signs of anything being wrong, I just found him, already gone...

Thats crappy. Lets cross our fingers that the others pair off well and procreate for yah:D. That would be a cool turn around to such a crappy event.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!