Question: Adding a second axolotl

daremo

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi!

I am thinking about getting my axie a new friend, but before I screw up I want to know if its ok to add another axolotl when my first one grew up alone...

he's about 18 cm and living happily in a 80x30 cm tank, but I'd like to have a wild type one (they're too cute, can't help it now... ) but the ones at the aquarium are still juvenile, so I can't add it right away and I need some time for him to grow, are axies ok when adding another adult? even if they turn out to be same sex??

thanks for your help!

Whenever you want to add a new friend, you will want to quarantine him/her for at least 30 days to prevent introducing possible disease to your current axie.

In a month's time, depending on current size difference, the new one may possibly catch up. You will want them to be of similar size when you introduce them.

I have never had any problems with aggression when adding new friends to a tank. Sex doesn't seem to make a difference, unless you happen to end up with one of each...So beware unless you want eggs!

Accidents can be avoided if you teach them to eat at opposite ends or feed the more aggressive eater first.

excellent!!

I am already cycling the old tank for the new guy :)

I will first keep them separated until the little one grows up

oh these guys are addictive, aren't they?? such lovely creatures... I just love to look at my little friend's smile hehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back