Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just a few pics of my Axolotls

JWERNER

Reaction score
Enjoy.

Attachments

• DSC02073.jpg
    DSC02073.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC02059.jpg
    DSC02059.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC02067.jpg
    DSC02067.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC02062.jpg
    DSC02062.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 184

dragonlady

Reaction score
Looks good Jay. Hope your mel is feeling better. Love that rock background, love to have something like that on my andersoni tank. I haven't seen anything like that in the stores though, did you get yours online?

JWERNER

Reaction score
Thanks. Im going to add more pics to this thread as they come.

The Mel is still looking off but his behavior is perfectly normal so I'm not stressing it to much right now. Its not fuzzy or raised so at least its not a fungus or anything.

The back ground is a DIY back ground I got into making a long time ago for terrariums and Cichlids. This one has been around specifically for some time now.

I am also modding a canister filter I have had laying around for all mechanical media and fitting a spray bar so that it can trickle down the BG. I find that my Axolotls enjoy shallower water for some reason. The back ground is set up for this filter specifically. Near the bottom I have a hole drilled into the BG with some poret filter foam stuffed in it. It goes into a channel in the back that goes all the way up the tank so the filters intake can stay hidden.

I plan on making one for the Andersoni when ever I collect the items I need for a 20 long.

Attachments

• DSC02075.jpg
    DSC02075.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1