Little confused and could use some help!

nzgirl87

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Amanda
I have recently brought a golden axo and it gets along fine with the one i got a few weeks b4 hand but the thing im a little confused about is,

it is only about 12-14cm long and was being fed on what i think are really huge chunks of meat, within the first couple of days it had spat one out and it was very big much bigger then what i give my bigger axo!

ive tried feedin it but it wont eat..its been about 5 or so days now since i brought it, Today when i was cleaning the tank i noticed a large size blob of jelly like stuff that was the same size as meat it was being fed and i was wondering what it is?? and if it being fed the big bits is why its not eating anything now?:sick::sick:

Re: Little confussed and could use some help!

What sort of meat is it??? Like us some axies get bored eating the same thing everyday. I fed mine earthworms, bloodworms and pellets. There is nothing better than a nice wiggly worm for dinner.
The jelly stuff you saw was most likely a spermatophore.
Would love to see some photos.
lea

Hi there im not sure what meat it was exactly but the person gave me the rest and its just a large chunk she got from the butcher apparently, what is a good size to feed them when it comes to meat? i give my other one just strips and it takes them but this one wont take anything i give it, when i got the 1st one they gave me chopped up liver of some kind is this ok to feed them??

i think i attached some photos?? the brown one is the biggest the gold one is my new one tht wont take food and also the gold one isnt in a tank with small stones anymore tht was a photo i got from the person i brought it off, they are both ones i have adopted off people tht didnt want them anymore

Attachments

• 146614946_full.jpg
    146614946_full.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 197
  • axo.jpg
    axo.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 212

I would try them on earthworms, they are the best food for them. The meat(liver or heart) is ok for a treat not all the time.
You can dig the worms from your garden if you dont use chemicals otherwise you can but them from petshops.

Thanks for your help, is there anything else that could be causing it not to eat? it was never in a tank with other axos could it just be settling in?

It could be just settling in. How long has she been off the gravel?? She may have swollowed some of them. Please keep and eye on her. What are the water parameters??? what is the water temp??

umm ive only had it about 5-6 days i was worried about the stones too as the first one i got had the same problem but it has passed them since. it is quite a large tank and the water is sitting below 20 degrees c. i studies all the facts about them when i got the first one as it looked bloated and immediately took out all small stones the people gave me with it, they both were brought from people tht kept them in tanks with small stones the poor things!

Im sure with your good care she will get better. Someone with more experience will chime soon and they might have some more ideas for you. If you think she has swollowed some stones you could put her in the fridge, this will help de stress her.
But try some eathworms/bloodworms and see how she goes.
Sorry what are their names?? Welcome to the wonderful world of axies:D
lea

They are yet to be named! im tryin my hardest to think of fitting names for them both! im sure il come up with something eventually

It's my opinion that feeding chunks of beef heart is absolutely the worst possible choice. I often wonder why anyone would thing this was a suitable meal for an aquatic creature. Earth worms are ideal along with small shrimps and other types of aquatic critters.

As to the coughing up odd things, I'd suspect that something is interfering with the proper digestion of whatever the axie has ingested. The jelly like substance may just be more beef heart that is a bit more digested than the last piece. I would suspect that the axie has swallowed some gravel. Give her some time to get it out, one way or the other.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back