Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mangy front legs

aollivier1

Reaction score
Please help me! One of my axolotls has a messed up leg that is slightly manky. I have two other axies in the tank with him/her, but I don't know if they are hungry or not because I keep feeder fish with them, and they move too fast to count, so I don't know if they have eaten recently. I have some photos, but they are pretty hard to see. I am not sure at all what I should be doing. Please respond!

Attachments

• P1020376.jpg
    P1020376.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 663
  • P1020379.jpg
    P1020379.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 546
  • P1020380.jpg
    P1020380.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 6,023

morphyrichards

Reaction score
It's hard to tell but it looks like you might have a fungal infection. When you look at it does the "manky" stuff look like white fluffy stuff?

Have you got a water testing kit? If so, can you test your water and post the parameters of ammonia, nirtite, nitrate, water tempertaure and PH?

What sort of fish are they? Incidentally you must not rely feeder fish as your main food source, for a start you dont know whether they are actually eating any or not and they are not the right type of nutrition. Look at feeding earthworms/nightcrawlers which you can apparantly easily get in bait stores in the US. Then you will know they are getting the right diet and you will also know exactly how good their appetites are.

How big is the tank that the axies are in?

Is there any possibility that this one injured it's leg and it then became infected?

dragonlady

Reaction score
The leg should heal itself, just be on the lookout for fungus. If you see some white, cottony stuff forming - that's fungus and you will need to give him/her a salt bath.

What else are you feeding them besides feeder fish? Hopefully, these are being raised by you or new ones are being quarantined first before adding in with the axies...He/she looks quite skinny. Earthworms could really help plump him/her up.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like your axolotl has been bitten. Keep an eye on it and if the wound looks like it becomes covered in cotton wool, then you'll need to do twice daily salt baths. In the mean time make sure your water is clean and cool.
Your axolotl is under weight , and if the others are the same size, then they will need feeding , relying on them to catch the live feeder fish is clearly not enough for them. Offer them live earthworm daily until they build up a bit.

As I am possibly the worlds slowest person at typing I see you have two responses all ready :bowl:

bayhicoach

Reaction score
What do you feed your axolotl's. If the feeder fish are "too fast to count" then i suspect that your axies aren't getting much to eat. This would inspire them to be aggressive toward each other which might be the reason for the injured leg. Try feeding your animals something like worms to make sure that they are getting enough to eat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!