Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fish ~ 66 days and growing FAST!

MereB

Reaction score
For anyone whose wondering about him :happy:

Day 66 & now 79mm long

7 days and 16mm he's more than doubled his rate of growth in the last 2 weeks :eek: to a little over 2mm a DAY!!!! No wonder he's eating so much more now!

Anyway the only real changes to be seen, aside from his size, are that his gills are now almost an apricot colour, the blood vessels are now clearly visible in his hind legs and the tiny black dots that had been making up the darker patches and that originally covered his whole body seem to be merging together or just becoming lighter either way despite his rapid increase in size the individual dots are quite hard to distinguish from one another.

Pics :D
Getting BIG (not the pic used to measure him as the edge get's distorted and makes it hard to read)
mereb-albums-fish-picture13017-fish-66-days-79mm.jpg

Such a cutie
mereb-albums-fish-picture13019-day-66-such-cutie.jpg

Check out the colour of those gills I keep expecting the feathery bits to to turn a nice PINK but no they just keep getting more yellow/orange. LOL
mereb-albums-fish-picture13018-check-color-those-gills-day-66.jpg

mewsie

Reaction score
he's more than doubled his rate of growth in the last 2 weeks :eek: to a little over 2mm a DAY!!!!

Blimey! Impressive little things eh?

Gorgeous photos btw. I'm loving the growth diary :)

x

MereB

Reaction score
Blimey! Impressive little things eh?

Gorgeous photos btw. I'm loving the growth diary :)

x
Yep I think Blimey about sums it up. I can't believe how fast they can grow :eek: I thought 1mm/day was impressive but YIKES he will soon outgrow his little isolation net, I'll have to get him a bigger one. I can't put him straight into the tank yet because i still need to catch him to feed him since he won't eat from my hand yet and 2ft of tank is too much water to have to track food down in :rolleyes:

Thank you I do my best. I'm glad you like his diary I can't wait to see what colour he finally settles at but I guess I have to :wacko:

Morrison

Reaction score
Interesting lovely lotl! I love the shiny gills! It's such a cutie. I remember when my leucistic was that small. With their transparent little belly

MereB

Reaction score
Day 76 and 91mm +12mm from 10 days ago
Well we're back to about 1mm/day again so it seems his spurt is over for now, until the next one anyway :happy:
I'll have to try again for some better pics of the little guy. His markings see to have continued to fade but it could just be the poor artificial lighting. I'm hoping they won't disappear entirely :(
a couple of not so brilliant pics
mereb-albums-fish-picture13149-day-76-91mm.jpg

mereb-albums-fish-picture13150-day-76-91mm.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1