Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just A Weird Facial Pattern

Sean1364

Reaction score
I know it's difficult to see, but I've been wondering about these markings on my Axolotl's face. First, there is a white bit, extending from the gills to the front of the face on both sides. Then there is a darker bruising color around the eyes. Does it all look normal to you?

Edit: Sorry for the odd link there. Don't try to open it.
mk20101101121233464j

Attachments

• 2010-11-01_12-12-33_464.jpg
    2010-11-01_12-12-33_464.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 287
  • axie2.jpg
    axie2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The reddish color around the eyes is probably due to excess blood vessels in that area. It's red for the same reason the gills are red: there's more blood there.

As for the white bit, I'm assuming you mean the faint scar-like webbing. It doesn't look like anything to worried about, just natural coloration. The skin may be thicker there, or there may not be any blood vessels in that specific area.

Sean1364

Reaction score
The reddish color around the eyes is probably due to excess blood vessels in that area. It's red for the same reason the gills are red: there's more blood there.

As for the white bit, I'm assuming you mean the faint scar-like webbing. It doesn't look like anything to worried about, just natural coloration. The skin may be thicker there, or there may not be any blood vessels in that specific area.

Yes, it looks exactly like human scarring.

Thanks for the response. Good to hear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!