HELP. my axolotl is floating upside down!

ilovecreeps

Reaction score
Country
United States
I came home today and my Creeps was floating upside down. He was moving a little bit but now he isnt at all and his mouth was slightly open. what's wrong with him? I added new water a week ago and put the solution. everything seemed normal ... although he took a large poop the other day. How can i tell if he's alive or dead? I called the pet shop and they said to put him in a tub of bottle water. that is where he is now.

This is how i found him. I put him in here with clean bottled water.

ilovecreeps-albums-creeps-picture13070-19.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks dead to me. Although if it isn't, it will be shortly.

Its cloaca looks awfully irritated. When it pooped, did you happen to see any rocks?

That is a very painful picture To look at, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as if its kinda bloated compared to the way my axolotl looks, and that is never a good thing, and it looks like the tail is curled, that is a classic sign of stress.

Please tell me that you don't use aquarium gravel in the tank that houses this animal?

Oh my that is so sad! What happened? His cloacal does look red and irritated aswell as his tails a little bent
:(

I think the bent tail is because he is in a tub. Anyway I agree with the irritated cloaca. Poor thing. Any sign of life?

It doesnt seem to be touching the edge of the tub though? And i would guess theres a difference between a stressed tail and one just bent from wrong position? I dont know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back