Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help needed please axolotl nutrition

toxictart

Reaction score
Hello i have 4 axie's we have now moved too cranleigh as i have moved in with my boy friend unfortutanly the pet shops do not sell any food for my axies, i used to give them frozen blood worm cube's i have no transport all they sell is blood worm shred's for fish witch he doesnt seem to see or eat them and it just pollute's the water we gave him a few worms yesterday and he really likes them although most the worms around here live in garden's and will be pestiside'd so its not very healthy for them the worm's i fed him yesterday where from my boy friends dad's house he does not use any pestiside's does any one feed them any thing else i.e chicken or some thing any help will be usefull!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, first things first, and sorry to be rude, but this post was an absolute nightmare to read!!
For the shake of our eyes, please use punctuation and capitalization.
You can buy earthworms online, or at baitshops. You can culture or store them, so you´d have a pesticide-free supply.
You can also order frozen bloodworms online from some distributors, as well as other frozen foods, and pellets.
There is a variety of foods you can culture at home easily, like waxworms, isopods, cherry shrimp, cockroaches...
Chicken or any other vertebrate food is inadequate. It´s not nutritonally complete at all, they can´t digest it properly, it´s too caloric and can easily cause obesity and is certainly not natural. At most, you could feed small, whole, fresh water fish very rarely as a treat (axolotls are not specialized fish eaters so do not abuse fish).

As you can see, offering a variety of adequate foods is not that hard, specially in these days where you can pretty much buy anything online xD

toxictart

Reaction score
Sorry im french so still learning english =], one off my friends suggested to try some beef heart or beef strips is it a good idea? they are quite skinny and young so they could do with fattening up, & ok i will have a look online for some thing we have a butcher's but thats about it.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nope, those are vertebrate meats. Beef heart and all that is used because it´s handy and because people don´t know better (or sometimes they do but don´t care)...but they are very inadequate foods!!!

toxictart

Reaction score
ok i just rang the pet shop that is an hour away from me its the best i can do even if i have to walk there, they sell wax worms would they be any good?

di4mondwhite

Reaction score
Hi

I got earthworms from wormsonline.co.uk.
Their service was very good. My axie ate the worm quicker than I could even see .... lol
You can also buy wormkeeers from them too so that storage is not a problem.

Hope this helps

K xx

toxictart

Reaction score
ok il have too order some for next month thanks my boy friend just brought some wax worm's is there any special way you have to feed the axoltol? i heard a lot off horror stories about live food eating through the stomach off the axolotl?.

toxictart

Reaction score
Thats ok will the wax worms hurt my axoltol? it looks like they have teeth

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Wormsdirect are very good, I use them when my worms go into hiding. Earthworms will not hurt your axolotl. There is a rumour that meal worms will eat through an animals stomach, but have never seen any proof. If any food looks like it has pincers, you can crush the head first.. But earthworms are by far the best and easiest food source.

toxictart

Reaction score
Ok i have heard alot of stories about wax worms eating their stomache but if i cut off the head it cant be a problem can it?, i am looking for ordering worms as all my plants at the moment are being sprayed by our gardener nasty man. so i dont think it would be very healthy so are wax worms ok too feed them and if so how much i have never tried wax worms, they are all around a year old now.

di4mondwhite

Reaction score
I have just got a wormkeeper from wormsdirect. It cost me £25 but it's a very big sealable bucket that you keep the earthworms in. They said that once it's established it may never (or very very rarely) need to be topped up. So for a £25 inital payment I may be able to feed my axie for more or less free after that. And at least I know that they are chemical and pesticied free!!!! I LIKE IT!!!!! :)

toxictart

Reaction score
Wow that's good, and thank you im learning :), just the punctuation and spelling off some things get me confused,i just fed her some wax worms she seems to like them so fingers crossed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1