Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Morphing Axolotl - Please Help!

lonks

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am taking care of a male axolotl for a friend who has moved. The thing is that I think he maybe morphing.

I've attached some photos for all to see.
Can someone tell me if he is morphing and if so what do I do to care for him. He is in water at the moment and is somewhat a fussy eater. I don't want him to drown and starve.

I will take any help..... Thanks you in advance!

Attachments

• 1924jf6_20.jpeg
    1924jf6_20.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,743
  • 58337gb_20.jpeg
    58337gb_20.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,702
  • 8647hmn_20.jpeg
    8647hmn_20.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,537

dragonlady

Reaction score
His eyes look a bit cloudy and his gills aren't looking too great either but I don't think he's morphing. I think he has some stuff going on.What are the current parameters and tank temp?

I think a salt bath and some fridging may be the next order of business too.

Note, those rocks look a bit dangerous as they look to be smaller than an axolotl's head, meaning they could possibly be swallowed.

MereB

Reaction score
I don't think he's morphing :happy: There have been a couple of axies morph on the board and while their gills did to a vanishing act over the course of their transformation the first thing to go was the dorsal fin and the ridge of it that runs up their back shrank and disappeared before it's gills got to the point you your poor little guy who still very much has the ridge up his back still and a full tail.
It takes some pretty nasty water conditions to make an axie morph or some serious chemical intervention so do check your parameters just in case.

I'm going to guess that one or more of his new tank mates have take a bite or 2 of his gills.
I'd be separating him from the other axies in the tank and keep his water cool and clean, the fridge may very well be a good idea. Oh and I'd ditch those pebbles ;)

This was the last Axie (well andersoni actually) that morphed on the board here. It's a pretty detailed account really of what he did during and after and what the changes were ;) maybe it will help you out or ease your mind. Morphing Andersoni

lonks

Reaction score
Hi again!

Thanks for your reply to both of you!

Sorry just want to clear something up first...

When my friend got him some few months ago he look the same as he looks now. I have always thought he didnt look right. But because he is with me I thought I would look in to it to see if there was something more going on. My friend has said that its just him, he has always been like that... But if there is something wrong, I would love to be able to help him.

Sooo my guys didn't have a go at his gills or anything ( I've only had him few days) and I did put him in to another tank when I first posted about him so my guys don't get sick too. However, at his old home he did have another tank mate who is totally fine and always has been and from what I know my friends tank parameters and temp was always okay.

My tank is totally fine, parameters and temp. I have no pebbles, just large rocks. It maybe the angle of the photos. I was thinking about putting sand in but wasn't sure how to maintain it. My guys are very large and healthy with full beautiful gills. I'll have to post some photos soon.

Could you please fill me in on how to do the salt bath and fridging... I dint want to get it wrong and have him die :confused:

Again, thank you so much for your help thus far!

MereB

Reaction score
Hi again!

Thanks for your reply to both of you!

Sorry just want to clear something up first...

When my friend got him some few months ago he look the same as he looks now. I have always thought he didnt look right. But because he is with me I thought I would look in to it to see if there was something more going on. My friend has said that its just him, he has always been like that... But if there is something wrong, I would love to be able to help him.

My tank is totally fine, parameters and temp. I have no pebbles, just large rocks. It maybe the angle of the photos. I was thinking about putting sand in but wasn't sure how to maintain it. My guys are very large and healthy with full beautiful gills. I'll have to post some photos soon.

Could you please fill me in on how to do the salt bath and fridging... I dint want to get it wrong and have him die :confused:

Again, thank you so much for your help thus far!

Fair enough :happy: I'm sure he has found a wonderful home it's just that the loss of gills like that is usually a having been bitten thing or a water quality issue. Since he has always been like that maybe it happened before your friend got him. I've seen plenty of axies in pet shops etc. that have had their gills eaten and if not given a chance to regrow (he may have been bullied by his previous tank mate as well and high ammonia, nitrite & nitrate will also effect them) they stay small.
The cloudy eyes however is usually a sign of toxicity but your other axies have clear eyes and your tests are fine so it can't be that in your tank. Which since you haven't had him long leaves us with his previous home. Do you remember if his eyes have always looked cloudy like that? Ammonia toxicity will attack their gills and give them cloudy eyes.

Quote from Mark - Axolotls.....
Chemical Toxicity

Like fish, axolotls are prone to ammonia toxicity. This includes too much ammonium, nitrate or nitrite in the water system. Symptoms of this include the
attack of the skin of the external gills, cloudy eyes, and visible infection on the skin of the animal. Chlorine, chloramine, pH, heavy metals and TOC's can all be brought under control. However, ammonia, ammonium, nitrate, and nitrite can suddenly change levels in the axolotls housing and must be routinely monitored and brought under control.

If it is ammonia toxicity you have done pretty much what you can for him. You've removed him from the ammonia and now it's just a matter of him regrowing his gills

Not sure why you would need to salt bath him. Salt baths are for fungus and he clearly doesn't have any but you could use them as a preventative measure if you really want to. Just keep an eye out for any white cotton wool like growth and salt bath him if any appears. Fridging however may not be a bad idea for a day or two. It will give him a chance to destress and heal. That link will tell you how to go about it.

Are you sure all those rocks are too large these ones (and a few others) look like they would fit in their mouths. Not trying to argue but they look far too small. They only have to be small enough in one direction to be eaten and you'd be amazed what an axie can swallow.
2889qo7.jpg

and there are a couple more in the 1st pic that look a little on the small side.

These ones were though too large to be swallowed, the axie had other ideas though... As you can see the 2nd one is almost the size of it's head while the 1st one is larger lengthwise but smaller crosswise. I'd hate for you to lose an axie to a few pebbles since they all look like such pretty little things.

11602d1281385075-axolotl-bloated-belly-tiniest_trafton_232-20100809141008-original.jpeg

Sand is not so hard to maintain, it's a little easier than pebbles and rocks actually as it does not trap bit's of food and what not like rocks can. ;)

I can't wait to see some pics of your other little friends. What I've seen of them they are very pretty.

dragonlady

Reaction score
His eyes should not be cloudy like that, that is why I recommended a salt bath. Here is the procedure as taken from Caudata Culture:

Give a bath in some salty water for about 10 minutes once or twice a day (2-3 teaspoons aquarium salt or non-iodized table salt per litre or quart). Don't leave the axolotl in the salt bath for more than 10-15 minutes each time, because the salt will start to damage the axolotl's skin and gills.

lonks

Reaction score
Hi again,

Sorry for the delay, has been a busy weekend/week...

Not to worry, I will be changing to sand, I promise!

I have been doing salt baths but his eyes are still cloudy, however, his gills kind of look better. I don't know how to describe it... They have not started growing back or anything but they just look healthier, and cleaner.:D

Would really like to work out what is the cause of the cloudy eyes though, its very interesting and sad all at the same time.:rolleyes:

Again, thank you for help!!!

MereB

Reaction score
I hear you on the busy week/end it's been nuts.

I'm glad his gills are looking better :happy: even if they haven't started to grow back properly yet, or at least visibly. He'll get there now that he has such expert care being given to him.

Cloudy eyes in aquatic animals is usually a toxicity issue (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) and will resolve itself as the toxin leaves his body. Which should happen now that he is in nice clean water :happy: There does come a point with this poisoning where there is no chance of recovery but he is a LOOOOOOONG way from that :D other more advanced symptoms include lethargy, loss of appetite, gulping for air more than is normal, swimming/laying on their side/upsidedown and bloody red streaking on the fins and body that is not normal for them. Most lighter axies (particularly the Leucs) have visible blood vessels anyway but this streaking is quite different to look at.
It will also turn gills red/purple but some axies like my male wild already have purple gills :rolleyes: so it's kinda hard to tell on him and you little guy is missing his making it even harder ;)

You're doing everything you can for him right now. Just keep an eye on him and watch for fungus but as long as he's eating and looking pretty healthy (gills and eyes aside) he should be fine. Just have to wait it out ;)

Keep up the good work, keep a VERY close eye on the ammonia levels in his water and he should recover beautifully.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!