Illness/Sickness: Poo Problem?

forester

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kat
Swarley is about 4.5 inches and eating two one inch pieces of worm a day (growing like a weed too). But I've noticed that the last two days, he seems to have waste hanging from his cloaca after pooing. The forums led me to believe that he should only be passing waste once or twice a week, but that could be for adult axies who eat less. Should I be worried?

Edit: It does come off, but not immediately. He may have rubbed it off using a plant. Is that normal?

Last edited:
or plants that he's eating?

There doesn't seem to anything undigested in it. But should I change his diet and remove the plants?

nah, mine eats the plants (some kind of elodea) and I noticed once that he pooed and then there was something sticking and it was a piece of plant (they can't digest them so they work as a purge I guess)

Have you seen him eating any plant? what are you feeding? earthworm? how much?

I think juveniles will poo more often, and it depends on how much they eat, when they grow they will poo like once a week or once every 10 days or so (at least how is like mine seem to work!)

He's growing like crazy so I've been giving him about two inches of worm today. They are nightcrawlers if that makes a difference. I've noticed him nipping at the plants if I move them while cleaning. I haven't seen him actually swallow though. Also, the plants are java ferns.

I guess he nips them because you move them while cleaning so he tries to see if it's food :p

they will nip at anything that moves!

so he's eating about half his side in worms each day? and I've found that nightcrawlers are bigger and harder (if that makes sense...) than red wrigglers - at least in Argentina ;)

Maybe keep an eye on him to see if it's a recurrence but I guess that if he eats and he swims and acts "normal" then he must be alright

could it be that it's a lot of food to pass so it doesn't come along all at once? (disgusting image, I know but how to explain it otherwise.... hehe)

I've also noticed that my little one takes ages to pass poo, once it took him like 40 mins to pass it

I wasn't feeding him as much but he grew an entire inch in one week. He's grown since then too. He's very active and playful too. He spends more time swimming than anything else. So his body is still slightly smaller than his head. I'm using human biology to justify increased but it seems to be fine except for the long poo.

You're probably right about it just taking a while. I just didn't want to risk it being something serious.

I can't fridge him this week. I'm in a dorm room with a crappy fridge. But I can a week and a half from now. I'll have access to a better fridge then. Do you think he'll be fine til then?

why do you think he's unwell?

I would just keep an eye on him to see if it happens again

so far he is being "normal" right?

I was just worried about the trouble he seemed to be having with poo, but he was fine yesterday. So I'm not real worried anymore. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back