Where can I find a reliable source of daphnia?

DemonsAngel999

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tiffany Seal
Ive just recently ordered a batch of eggs and they should be here on either Thursday or Friday. Ive been having trouble finding daphnia cultures. Can anyone help me or possibly suggest an alternative? Ive heard that they can be fed egg yolk but havent heard whether or not it has been successful.

I used newly hatched brine shrimp to feed my axie larvae with great success. Brine Shrimp eggs (actually cysts) should be readily obtainable at your well-stocked pet store. Use a soda bottle (I used a twenty ounce bottle) with an airline to gently agitate the water. I also placed my bottle near a 40 watt bulb to keep the temperature above 80 F. I was able to hatch a batch (1/8th tsp eggs + 1 Tbl salt + 1 L water) every other day. This provided sufficient nauplii to feed 18 axies.

I recently obtained Daphnia and have been having some success getting them to multiply but I don't currently have any axie larvae to feed. I'll be interested to see if I can keep this culture of Daphnia going long enough to feed my axies when they arrive. I got the starter culture from Carolina Biological - a science supply store online.

Thanks for the help, I'll try and locate some bbs today. Hopefully my local pet supply stores will have them. I'd really hate to have to order them online, as they may not arrive in time to feed the little ones.

Best of luck with your daphnia cultures. And thanks again.

I"ve attempted to keep wild caught daphnia to culture, but they died in short order. They were kept with some large predatory diving beetles, but I don't think they were eaten (I could be wrong, but the beetles went after larger prey from what I could see). They had some duckweed, hornwort, flourescent lighting and airation; temps around 25C. Any ideas on changing the husbandry for next time? You fed them egg yolk? I figured keeping algae in the water was good enough.

I think that you may have misunderstood my post. I wasn't very clear about what sort of eggs I ordered. I have Axie eggs coming and am in a bit of a pinch. My local pet shops don't carry live foods and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get Bbs or daphnia. I don't want to be caught in a rough spot without food supplies when they arrive.

Wow. Thats the thread I was digging for! I may just give it a try with two or three of my hatchlings until I can get a live source of food ordered.

I couldn't get any of my larvae or juveniles to eat egg yolk.
Not sure why.

I may try again.

I use baby brine shrimp.
You may find once they hatch they dont eat for a day or two anyway.

Can you get a microworm culture as a back up?

Mel

This might be a bit naughty but what about midge and mosquito larvae? If you get a container with some old tank water in and place it outside, after a few days you should have some of these swimming around. You could bring these in and use them to feed your babies. Just make sure you don't give any the chance to make it to fully grown mosquitohood.

Mine have fed happily on midge and mosqito larvae, it a good idea Steve.

Mel

Another good source for daphnia cultures in the US is Dallas Discus - you can find them by google. They are easy to order from and ship quickly, but their cultures tend to be mixed species regardless of what type you order.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I managed to find a specialty store that sells bbs eggs. I still may try one or two on the egg yolk.

I've been combining egg yolk with microworms, and my axolotl larvae are eating it quite readily; I hard-boil the egg and mash the yolk into small crumbs, then add microworms to the tank followed by some egg yolk. The microworms form a writhing carpet beneath the egg yolk that jiggles the crumbs of yolk around, and the larvae snap up the mixture of worms and yolk.

I've also had some success with feeding fruit fly larvae to axolotl larvae that are large enough to take them. Uneaten fruit fly larvae drown after a few hours and need to be removed, but they're easy to raise in large numbers and easier to clean up than microworms, egg yolk or baby brine shrimp.

Baby brine shrimp seem to be their preferred food, but the combination of microworms and egg yolk is a convenient and cheap alternative for when I don't have a batch of brine shrimp ready for harvesting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back