How the heck do you get rid of anchor worms

Louron34

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi newbie here, hope every one ok. My problem is that i have 4 Axolotls and have found that they have anchor worm, have tweezered them out but they seem to still have some left, having read on the forum the main med seems to be Dimilin which have tried getting but have been told that it is illegal to sell in Britain, so stuck what else to use . Have been told from the place where i brought them that you can use over the counter meds but at a much reduced dosage. Would appreciate some expert help Thanks

Any vet who treats exotic animals should be able to help you find an alternative medicine that is effective and available in Britain.

"Dimilin" is the trade name for the chemical Diflubenzuron. Perhaps this may help? This stuff is NASTY! A restricted use pesticide here (you need an applicator's permit) in the U.S. so make sure, if you do find it, that it is safe for amphibian use and mind the dosage. The stuff is toxic to aquatic invertebrates and breaks down the chitinous shell of the worms and the reproductive cycle.

I'm currently having the same issue, although we're not in the same country so I can't help you out much on treatments.. I'm not sure WHAT they sell in the UK. You were brave enough to try to tweezer them out! I tried to get just one, and cried afterwards because knew it was hurting my baby. ):

Good luck!

The trouble with UK supplies are that ingredients are not always apparent. Waterlife Parazin P appears to be O.4% Diflubenzuron. Reference Parazin P Anchor Worm Fish Lice and Gill Maggot Treatment There is a 20 tablet size available at a more modest price from other retailers.

Note the capital P in the product. ordinary Parazin appears to be a different formulation.

I have not needed to try this product personally so be careful and let us know if it works

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back