Axolotl 999 please

mroli123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two young axolotls (they are about 4" long, not sure how old they are exactly) and I have had them for around 2 months, they have been fine living in ice cream tubs which I change the water every morning (it doesn't have a filter or anything)

I am going away for afew days and my girlfriends sister is looking after our house, to save her (plus she wouldn't do it) having to change the water every day I decided I would put them in a larger home (using a shoe storage box thing) I set it up two days ago and filled it with dechlorinated tap water, I put them in the new tank last night and they seemed fine, happy to have more room to move dart around, but when I came home from work they are both on their last legs at the bottom of the tank, tails curled, and their gills have shrunk alot

I have quickly put them back into an ice cream tub and put them in the fridge with just enough water to cover their bodies, I really hope that they will be ok!

I am not sure, but I think maybe the water may of been too deep for them to get to the surface (mainly based on the gills shrinking) but I don't know what else could of caused them, or even exactly what is wrong with them - any advice or knowledge would be appreciated!

I think I will keep them in the fridge while I am away and hope that my girlfriends sister remembers to change the water daily, is there any way around changing the water?

Your help would be appreciated greatly!

Cheers

Oli

Hi Oli

Sorry to hear about your guys.
What was the temp in the tank?
I dont think it was because it was deep, axolotls will swim to the surface.

Mel

Its at 10 degrees, water quality is fine I checked before I put them in, the only addition I made after was a moss ball?

Aren't shrunken gills and curled tails merely a symptom of stress? When I first purchased mine a few years ago they had these, but after a couple of weeks in a stable, clean tank these merely went back to normal.
I really doubt a change in tank could drastically harm them and maybe you were a little fast to move them for a third time? How about keeping them in a room temperature tank for a few days and trying to maintain a steady surrounding for the poor guys? :cool:

Maybe it stressed them out, the tank I took them from was the same temp as the one I put them in, just bigger so I don't know why that would stress them? Maybe they are homesick

I have put them in the fridge for now, I think I might leave them in there over night, let them get down to room temp tomorrow and then put them back in the big tank tomorrow evening

They really didn't seem in good shape when I came home, sometimes in colder water they can move slower and stuff but they looked at deaths door

I've checked on them this morning and thankfully they are still alive, don't look in the best shape though! Legs look loose (like they can't support their body) and gills and tail curled which is a sign of stress?

I put them in the fridge over night, do you think I should leave them in there for afew days until hopefully they recover a bit, or should I put them back in the tank and hopefully they will sort themselves out

I have put axolotls in the fridge before but never had much sucess, and I heard that if you fridge young ones it can stunt their growth?

I wouldn't put them back in that tank until you've cleaned it all out, something has bothered them, I dont think it is just the moving them. Curled tail is usually not a good sign.

Have any chemicals been used around the tank? Did you use bleach or anything to clean it?

Did you feed them anything different?

Mel

No I cleaned it out with tap water a couple of days before, then filled it up with de-chlorinated water and left it for two days before putting them in, I fed them
some live bloodworms which I normally do in the morning and were all gone when
I came home from work

Is a curled tail a sign of stress?

I will empty the tank tonight and start again, I am going away on Monday for afew days and I'm not sure if to leave them in the fridge while I am away or try get them back in the tank

If I were you i'd keep them in the fridge. If they've been in there a while anyway they should be ok.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back